College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences

Industrial Hemp Program

The College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences has obtained approval from the Industrial Hemp Commission (IHC) for a permit to grow industrial hemp for research purposes.

Our research in the CAES focuses on the following:

  • Identifying the best hemp varieties for producing CBD in North Carolina.
  • Determining the varieties of hemp that will grow in various parts of the state.
  • Assessing soil health and growing conditions.
  • Investigating the use of hemp in new energy technologies.
  • Exploring the various uses of hemp.

We are happy to work with small-scale producers interested in growing industrial hemp. In order to work with the university, farmers must first apply for a permit. The application is available on the N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services website.

The College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Hemp Manual describes the policies governing hemp research at N.C. A&T.

For more information please contact

Sanjun Gu, Ph.D.
Horticulture Specialist
Cooperative Extension at N.C. A&T
(336) 285-4954 or
Leon Moses
N.C. A&T University Farm
(336) 398-8690 or

For application-related questions, including to make changes to your license, to pay fees, or to notify that your plants are flowering, please email

For more information about the permitting process, contact the Industrial Hemp Commission at (919) 707-3236.