Frequently Asked Questions

A: Communication between the student and the staff of Counseling Services is confidential and will not be disclosed without the student's written permission. The law in the State of North Carolina provides the following exceptions:

  • If the therapist has knowledge of abuse of a child, elder, or a person with a disability.
  • If the therapist has knowledge of intent to harm themselves or others.
  • If the therapist or graduate student in training is supervised or consults with another clinical or counseling psychologist or mental health professional within the center.
  • With the expressed, written permission of the student.
  • In accordance with a court order for records.

A: North Carolina A&T State University undergraduate, graduate or professional students who are currently enrolled and working towards a degree.

A: A spouse or partner is eligible for services if they are a registered student.

A: Counseling Services offers as many sessions as needed to address the specific area of concern. This is typically determined during the initial interview.

A: No, services for counseling are provided to all registered students at no cost.

A: Neither type of therapy is better. Both individual and group therapy are beneficial. The therapist in conjunction with the student will determine the appropriate type of therapy.

A: All counseling records are kept for seven (7) years. They are confidential and are not part of the academic records.

A: Yes, some graduate schools, professional boards or regulatory agencies request counseling records. It is the decision of the student to acknowledge whether s/he has received therapy when asked. However, Counseling Services can only release information with written permission.

A: Counseling Services is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday, and is closed on holidays.

A: Counseling is appropriate for anyone who is troubled by a specific problem or has a general concern. Students seek out counseling for personal growth, increased self-awareness, depression, anxiety, family and interpersonal issues, as well as for acute problems or crises.

A: Clinicians have varied education and training and are licensed by their respective boards as a licensed clinical mental health counselor, psychologist or clinical social worker.

A: Psychiatric services are provided at the Student Health Center. Referrals for psychiatric consultation and/or evaluations can be self-referred or made through the client's counselor or physician. Those persons who are under the care of their own psychiatrist can request that our psychiatrist monitor their medications.