International Student Change of Status

Admission to pursue a degree program at North Carolina A&T State University as a non-immigrant requires the ability to obtain an appropriate legal status to study full time.

Generally, non-immigrant applicants obtain either F-1 or J-1 status; however, there are other non-immigrant status categories that will allow study inside the United States. Interested applicants should contact either the Undergraduate Admissions Office email; or the Graduate College Admissions Office email  to obtain specific admissions procedures and requirements. Eligibility for issuance of I-20 requires admission to the University as well as a financial guarantee in the minimum amount of $27,500 (USD).

Please contact the OIA at (336) 334-7551 or email with specific questions related to transferring inside the United States or instructions for "Change of Status" requirements to matriculate at the University. Please keep in mind that both the SEVIS transfer process and the request to change status inside the United States can be lengthy processes. You may not have employment authorization and in some cases, you may not be eligible for enrollment at N.C. A&T until the formal notice of action is received and/or the transfer is completed in SEVIS

If you intend to change to F-1 or J-1 student status, you must submit the Financial Guarantee Form and documentation as requested by OIA. You will also be required to pay a tuition deposit, if applicable.