Program Regulations

This section will best assist foreign nationals who hold the J-1 visa and are conducting research, teaching, or observing but not enrolled in courses at North Carolina A&T. It is designed to provide general knowledge of basic immigration regulations and important University procedures that pertain to your employment here. Federal regulations regarding work vary widely depending on visa type.

North Carolina A&T is internationally recognized for its competence in developing strong academic programs designed to matriculate and graduate qualified accountants, managers, engineers, agriculturalists, artists, technologists, nurses, sociologists, researchers, and scientists. The University has developed a global studies certification program and is currently processing strategic visioning to create an enriched interdisciplinary learning-centered community filled with opportunities for discovery, engagement, and operational excellence. North Carolina A&T also offers an approved exchange visitors program through which qualified foreign students, professors, research scholars, short-term scholars, and specialists are invited to promote the general interest of international education and cultural exchange.

North Carolina A&T State University seeks to promote general interest and understanding of international education and culture through exchange programs. The Office of International Affairs (OIA) can only issue the Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status (DS-2019) if the academic department or University program has completed (with required signatures) and submitted the Request for Issuance of Form DS-2019 to the OIA. The DS-2019 will be issued if the J-1 Exchange Visitor meets all minimum eligibility requirements.

Length of Program

The length of stay will be noted on the DS-2019 in box #3 and will be adhered to by the University as long as the department agrees to sponsor you. Short Term Scholars are allowed a maximum stay of 6 months.

Extension of Stay

If the academic department wishes to extend your stay, the OIA will require the department to complete a request to extend your stay at least 3 months prior to the end date indicated on your DS-2019 in box #3. The department will also need to provide proof of funding for the period of extension being requested. The maximum length of stay for Research Scholars and Professors is 3 years. If you do not extend your stay beyond the initial end date noted on the DS-2019 (#3), you will have a 30-day grace period to leave the United States. You are technically not affiliated with North Carolina A&T State University during this period and thus you cannot receive any payment or reimbursement. You should notify the OIA regarding your departure plans and travel dates.

Two-Year Home Residency Requirement (HRR)

J-1 visitors who are financed by either the U.S. government or the government of their home country of residence, or who have special skills which are needed in their home country of residence, are not eligible for Permanent Residence or H1B visa status until they have returned to their home country and have lived there for two years after their stay in the United States as a J-1 Exchange Visitor. It is not possible for someone who is subject to the Home Residency Rule (HRR) to change to any other status while remaining in the U.S. A waiver application, if desired, is the responsibility of the J-1 scholar. The OIA cannot assist in the waiver application process. No DS-2019 extensions or transfers can be granted to J-1 Exchange Visitors if a waiver of the HRR has not been recommended by the United States Information Agency.

Requesting to Change Your Status

If you have reached or are approaching the three-year maximum in J-1 visa status and the hiring department wishes to continue your employment, please have the supervisor contact the OIA  immediately. The OIA will discuss your visa options based on information about the type of employment and your personal immigration history.