Getting Started

Social Security Number

Foreign nationals are required to have a Social Security number and card in order to begin work at North Carolina A&T in J-1 status. The Social Security number is an identification number that will not only be required by the university, but you may also be required to provide it at the time you open a bank account, file tax forms, rent an apartment, open utility accounts, etc.

You must have employment eligibility, employment authorization, and proof of employment to request a Social Security card and number from the United States Social Security Administration. The Office of International Affairs will prepare the letter verifying this information on your behalf and you will be required to present yourself, the letter, and all other required documents to the Social Security Administration Office located at 6005 Landmark Center Boulevard, Greensboro, North Carolina, 27407.

Applications and instructions are available in the OIA, ACB room 213. You may also obtain additional information at

To apply for a Social Security number and card, you need to complete Form SS-5 and show at least two documents as evidence of your age, identity, and lawful alien status (ex: visa, passport, DS-2019, I-94, I-20, etc.). Dependents and those not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number and Card should apply for the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) that can be obtained at the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The ITIN is used for tax purposes and can serve as additional documentation when obtaining the driver’s license. Visit the IRS web page for additional information and application procedures.,,id=96287,00.html.

J-2 dependents in legal status may qualify for the social security card and number; however, they must be approved for work authorization first. Please visit OIA to obtain information and discuss requirements for submitting the petition to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services office.

Payroll Office

If you are employed and paid a salary by North Carolina A&T, you must schedule an appointment with the Director of Payroll at 336-334-7888. You will be required to complete a Foreign National Information Form. Please bring all of your legal documents to this interview. This session will also include a discussion of tax liabilities while in the United States. Information regarding taxes is also found on the Internal Revenue Service website: Your tax status and the taxes you are required to pay will depend upon your visa status and your country of citizenship.

Obtaining A North Carolina Driver's License

Most foreign nationals are eligible to apply for a North Carolina driver’s license. If you are interested in applying, you should check for instructions and information. You should take the following with you to the interview and test: passport, I-94 card, visa eligibility document (DS-2019 or I-20), Social Security card or ITIN, in addition to other required documentation. There is a cost for obtaining the license. There are two DMV locations in Greensboro:

Greensboro East DMV Bldg
2527 E Market Street
Greensboro, NC 27401
Ph: (336) 334-5745
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Website with driving directions

Greensboro West DMV Bldg
2391 Coliseum Boulevard
Greensboro, NC 27403
Ph: (336) 334-5438
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Website with driving directions

Please note: Persons holding an International Driver’s License should apply for a North Carolina driver’s license within 30 days of arriving in North Carolina.