Veterans Service FAQ

How do I apply for educational benefits?

- If the facility hasn't requested approval before, ask the school or training facility official to
contact the VA to request approval.

- To apply for education benefits online or obtain a hard copy of the application form (VA Form 22-1990). Submit either your application form (if it is a hard copy) or your signature form (for online applications) to the Regional Processing Office serving the state your school is in. Click here for the Processing Office's contact information.

NOTE: If the program has been approved for VA benefits, check in with the school or training facility official who certifies enrollments for VA benefits.

Section 702 " Choice Act" frequently Asked Questions for Post 9-11 GI Bill & Montgomery GI Bill.

When has The Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607) REAP benefits depleted?

  •  According to The National Defense Authorization Act of 2016 the REAP educational benefits has ended on November 25, 2015. So if you applied after November 24, 2015  you are no longer eligible for REAP ( Chapter 1607).

Can I be eligible for two or more educational benefits?

  • Yes, you may be eligible for more than one VA education benefit program. However, you may only receive payments from one program at a time. You can receive a maximum of 48 months of benefits under any combination of VA educational programs you qualify for.

If i am currently receiving  REAP (Chapter 1607) will my benefits end?

  • No, if you were receiving or applied for Chapter 1607 before November 25, 2015 then your educational benefits will remain active until November 19 2019. 

If  REAP (Chapter 1607) is no longer available  after November 24, 2015 what other educational  benefits can i be eligible  for?

  • Since Chapter 1607 has ended  you may now be eligible for Post 9-11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), depending on the dates of your periods of service.


I am enrolled in school. When will I receive my benefits from VA?

Once your school submits your enrollment information, it must be entered into the system by VA. Because VA is generally overwhelmed with enrollments at the start of each semester, it could take up to 6 weeks to process an enrollment during those times. Your patience is appreciated - we will process all of the enrollments in order by the date received.

If you are receiving benefits under MGIB-AD (Chapter 30) or MGIB-SR (Chapter 1606), you must also verify your enrollment at the end of each month in order to receive payment for that month. Benefits are paid after each month of school is completed.

Where can I get an application for education benefits?

To obtain a hard copy of the application form, you may do one of the following: download a form from the GI Bill web site, contact your school official or school certifying office that handles VA education benefits, or have one sent to you by calling 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

Who is eligible for the Dependents and Survivors Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)?

This program provides education benefits for the spouse and dependent children of veterans.
The Veteran has been classified as:

- permanently and totally disabled from service connected causes

- who died in service or who died of service connected causes, and certain other veterans and service members, such as those currently missing in action or captured in the line of duty.

What should I do if I don't get my check?

First, verify that payment has been issued by contacting VA (you can use the "Ask a Question" tab or call 1-888-GIBILL-1 [1-888-442-4551]). In order for VA to reissue a check, at least three weeks must have passed since the original check issue date. Once the three week period has passed, please call an Education Case Manager at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to assist you in getting another check. This process could take up to 6 weeks.

What is the earliest date that I can verify my enrollment in school? (Exclude Chapter 35)

The earliest you can verify your enrollment is the last calendar day of each month. To speed up the process of receiving your payments, be sure to verify your enrollment promptly at the end of each month and sign up for direct deposit (if you haven't already done so).

What is the Work-Study Program and who is eligible?

This program provides part-time employment to students receiving VA education benefits who attend school three-quarter time or more. The student may work at the school veterans' office, VA Medical Facilities, the VA Regional Office, or at approved State employment offices. Work-study students are paid either the State or Federal minimum wage, whichever is greater.

NOTE: Active Duty Military are not eligible for this program.

How do I keep my benefits in good standing?

- A detailed class schedule for each semester, including summer school sessions should be submitted to the Certifying Official. It is your responsibility to keep up with your certification period. You will not be automatically certified for benefits.

-VA will only pay for the courses that   count towards a student’s graduation requirements.

-It is your responsibility to immediately inform the Veterans Affairs Certifying Official of any changes in your enrollment after your initial application has been forwarded to the Department of Veterans Affairs. (For example: A change in your curriculum, if you drop or add courses, or if you withdraw from classes or totally from school.)

*** Note: Failure to report ay changes to your enrollment will delay certification for your next semester.***

-When withdrawing from a class a copy of the withdrawal form from the Registrar’s Office must be submitted to the VA Certifying Official.

*** Note: If this is not done, it may cause repayment to VA because of the change of hours.***

-Always make sure your current local address, telephone number, and email address is on file at OVDSS. Report any changes promptly. This is to help ensure that your benefits are processed in a timely manner. This also allows you to receive news and information from OVDSS.

-Chapters 30, and 1606 : The number to call to verify your monthly enrollment to the Veterans Affairs is listed on the Veterans Affairs Directory. This number will be effective only after you have been certified and you are in the system with the VA. You may call anytime beginning the last day of the month. If you do not call, a check will not be issued. Or you may verify your enrollment by WAVE on the VA website

-For the Vocational Rehabilitation Office you may contact Melanie Marshall. Her contact information is listed on the Veterans Affairs Directory.

-If you have any questions concerning certification, benefits, credits, or summer school, please do not hesitate to contact the Certifying Official. 

The toll-free number for the VA Office in Decatur, Georgia is listed on the Veterans Affairs Directory. The hours of operation are 8:00AM – 4:00PM. The lines are closed on weekends and federal holidays. Always have your VA file number readily available when calling.