Disability Support Services FAQ

What is the difference in Section 504, Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Americans with Disabilities Act, 1990?

Section 504 states “No otherwise qualified handicapped individual in the United States shall, solely by reason of his handicap, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program receiving federal financial assistance.  The Americans With Disabilities Act states that the nation’s proper goals regarding individuals with disabilities are to “assure equality of opportunity, full participation, independent living, and economic self-sufficiency” for persons with disabilities.

What is a disability according to ADA and Section 504?

A disability is any physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities, has a record of such an impairment or is being regarded has having such an impairment.

What is considered major life activities?

Major life activities are the basic activities that the average person can perform with little or no difficulty.  There activities include, but are not limited to, walking, seeing, learning, working, reading, writing, performing manual tasks, speaking, and hearing.

When is a person substantially limited?

Individuals are substantially limited if they are unable to perform or are significantly restricted in their ability to perform a major life activity because of the impact of an impairment.  Factors taken into consideration in making this decision include the nature and severity of the impairment, the duration or expected duration of the impairment, and the long-term impact of the impairment.

I had a IDEA and a 504 plan in high school, will I automatically get services in college?

No.  IDEA’s are not used and 504 plans are used at NCA&T for information only.  Post-secondary institutions need current documentation from the appropriate professional on the disability and how it affects you, the student

If I had accommodations in high school, how will I get accommodations in college?

You must register with the Office of Disability Support Services, located in Murphy Hall, Suite 01 – Lower Level. 

What are the difference between high school and college disability services?

Please view the following link: Differences between High School & College Disability Services