Frequently Asked Questions

New Students/Transfer Students:

Housing Application

  • How do I apply for housing? 
  • What do I need to do before applying for housing?
    • New students must be admitted to the university and complete an [INTENT TO ENROLL.] (Allow 24-48 hours for your profile to be processed after you complete your intent to enroll before trying to complete the housing application.)
  • When I try to login in to the My Housing Portal it says my access is denied?
    • Please make sure you are using the correct username and password and have completed your intent to enroll. Username: FIRST PART of Aggie Gmail (do not include Password: First 4 letters of username and last 4 of Banner ID number. 
  • Who do I make the check or money order out to for the $175 application processing fee?
    • In order to complete the online housing application, you must pay the $175 non-refundable application fee online with a credit / debit card at the end of the housing application and click Submit my housing app and payment.
    • (We encourage all students to pay online)
    • If for some reason you must pay by check or money order, please mail a check / money order to North Carolina A&T State University, Housing and Residence Life Office, Aggie Village Building 2, 1601 E. Market Street, Greensboro, NC, 27411. Your housing application would then be manually completed by our office staff once the check/money order is received. 
    • Please check the Housing Summary Status in the My Housing Portal for the updates about your housing. 
  • Is my $175 application processing fee refundable?
    •  No, the application fee is non-refundable.

Housing Selection Process

  • Can I stay in a single room as a freshman?
    • No. New Freshmen are only allowed to stay in a double room with a roommate. 
  • When will incoming freshmen receive their housing assignment? 
    • All new students will be allowed to select their room and roommate. Room selection will be on a first come, first serve basis after you attend New Student Orientation through My Housing Portal. 
  • Does my friend have to attend the same orientation for us to be roommates?
    • No, you can select a roommate from any orientation session as long as you have the roommate group pin of the person you want to be your roommate and they have a completed housing application. 
  • Can I request a room change for second semester? If so, what is the process?
    • Yes. Anytime during or after the room change process you are able to change your room based on availability. Please talk with your hall director regarding room changes within your assigned building or report to the housing office for an up-to-date listing of available spaces throughout the campus.  Please be available to move as well as cover any additional charges to your student account resulting from your room change. Students are responsible for moving all items from their old room assignment and check into their new building/room within 24 hours of the room change. 
  • What are the different halls like? How can I learn more about the hall I have been assigned to?


  • How do I select a roommate?  
    • Students select their roommate during the online room selection process after new student orientation.
  • How can I get my roommate group pin number?
    • Please check the Housing Summary Status Page in our My Housing Portal to view your roommate group pin number. 
  • Why did I not see the roommate I wanted to select?  
    • If the roommate you are requesting has delayed or failed to complete the housing application process or has not successfully completed new student orientation, then you cannot select them as your roommate. The completed application consists of completing the housing application online and paying the application processing fee.  
  • Can I change room assignments and/or roommates? 
    • Yes. However, we strongly encourage students to wait at least 3 weeks after classes start before requesting any room changes. Direct these requests to the Residence Hall Director.
  • What if I have a roommate conflict? 
    • Contact your Hall Director located in their residence hall or the Resident Assistant living on your floor. They will assist with any roommate conflicts.
  • What if someone steals something out of my residence hall room? How can I be reimbursed for the replacement costs?
    • Students are strongly encouraged to obtain Renter's Insurance from an independent insurance carrier; this can include your own homeowner's insurance to cover any losses of personal possessions in the residence hall. Neither the University nor Housing and Residence Life are responsible for any damages or losses to personal property in residence halls.
  • Preparing to Living with a Roommate

Housing Cost and Additional Fees

  • What is the cost of Housing?
  • What do we do if furniture in the room is missing or damaged?
    • Students should complete a room condition report at check-in.  This form allows staff to follow-up with any missing or damaged items; failure to report damages or missing furniture does not excuse charges.  After check-in, students can go to the housing website and submit a maintenance request(FIXIT).  Urgent or emergency requests should immediately be reported to Residence Hall Staff on duty.
  • When are students required to leave the residence halls? 
    • Residence halls are closed three times during the academic year. Holiday Break in December, Spring Break in March, and closed for the summer in May. ALL students must leave the residence halls during these times.  See the housing calendar for specific dates and times.

Choice of Residence Hall 

  • Why are new students not allowed to choose a housing preference online?
    • Housing preferences have been removed from the housing application and a new online room selection process will be available for all new students to select their room and roommate. Room selection will be on a first come, first serve basis after you attend New Student Orientation.
  • Can I change my assignment to another residence hall? 
    • A transfer may be requested at any time. However room changes will not be available until the third week of classes.
  • What is the difference between a single, double, double deluxe and a private? 
    • A single room consists of one person in a room and student shares a bathroom with four to five other residents living within the suite. A double room consists of two people living in the same room. (Traditional Doubles- share a bathroom on the same hall, Suite Style Doubles-share a bathroom within a suite.) A double deluxe consists of two people living in the same room with a bathroom inside the room. A private room consists of one person living in a room with a private bathroom.


  • If I live in the residence hall, is a meal plan required?
    • Yes, a meal plan is required for all students who reside in campus housing.  Meal plans information is available at Campus Enterprises.


  • Are freshmen allowed to have cars on campus?  
    • North Carolina A&T provides a student shuttle service and students can utilize local city buses for free with a student ID card.  Freshmen who earn a GPA of 3.2 or higher for the fall semester and have completed/earned 80% or higher of attempted hours, may apply to bring their cars to campus for the spring semester through the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Development, Murphy Hall, Suite 104, 336.334.7792.


  • All housing related emails will be sent to student's assigned A&T email address. (Please include the student's name and banner id number in the email.)