How Tos for Researchers

How to Purchase Food on a Sponsored Project Fund

The purchase of food and beverages on a sponsored project fund requires following the University’s Food and Beverage Purchase policy and the sponsor’s conditions under the funding agreement. The State of North Carolina allows the purchase of food or meals for:

  • Conferences
  • Entire board, commission, committee or council meetings
  • Training Sessions
  • Travel


Purchasing food or meals for a conference is allowable if a registration fee is charged or if the costs are expressly noted in the non-State, sponsor-approved budget and budget justification. If the sponsor is an agency of the State of North Carolina, a registration fee must be charged. Outside of these two instances, no meals or food reimbursement may be provided to a University employee. If conference food or meals are included in a sponsored project, it does not automatically guarantee its allowance. DORED reserves the right to seek clarification from the sponsor in the event of uncertainty in the project documentation.


Purchasing food or meals is allowable for the meeting of a board, commission, committee or council in its official capacity, if it is pre-planned, if it includes the entire unit and if it includes individuals who are non-University employees. An agenda must be provided in advance along with formal written invitation to participants setting a calendar of events. Additionally, a detailed schedule of costs is required.

Training Sessions:

Coffee-type break coverage for training sessions are allowed at $4 per day, per person with 20 or more attendees. No other training session food is allowed. An agenda must be provided in advance along with formal written invitation to participants setting a calendar of events. Additionally, a detailed schedule of costs is required.


Purchasing food or meals is allowable when a University employee is in travel status. Reimbursement will be made in accordance with the State per diem allowances. Reimbursement is prohibited for food or meals covered through conference registration fees during travel.

University employee reimbursement of food or meals for a sponsored project meetings between University employees, who are not in travel status, and non-University individuals (guests, speakers, partners, etc.) is prohibited. Purchasing food or meals for non-University personnel is allowable as provided for in the sponsor-approved budget and budget justification.

How to Closeout a Sponsored Project

  1.  The Principal Investigator (PI) will receive written notification via email from Contracts & Grants that the award will end within 30 days from the award end date. A Pre-Closeout Checklist will be included. The PI will ensure the following:
    • If applicable, notify your Grant Administrator and Grant Accountant regarding the submission and status of a no-cost extension request as soon as possible
    • Review open encumbrances and verify that all invoices are going to be paid before the project end date
    • Take inventory of unused supplies and contact the Grant Accountant concerning the disposition of the unused supplies
    • Verify that all travel expenditures have been submitted, received, and reimbursed according to University policies
    • Verify that sub-recipients have completed their scope of work and submitted all invoices to be paid, verifying that all invoices have been paid and that cost sharing has been properly documented
    • Report cost share to the Office of Contracts and Grants
    • If requested by the Office of Contracts and Grants, identify and submit in writing to the Grant Accountant expenditures to be moved and the funding source to be charged
    • Provide notification of any intellectual property created during the project
    • Submit documentation for the final project report
    • Notify the appropriate parties of the project completion, including the Institutional Review Board if human subjects are involved, the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee if animals are involved, and all personnel working on or assisting with the project
  2.  The PI will return the completed form to the Director of Contracts & Grants within 10 days of receipt.
  3.  Return other documents and information as requested by the Grant Accountant


Contracts & Grants 30 Day Pre-Closeout Checklist


No-Cost Extension Policy:

Federal Prior Approval Matrix 

How to Work With an Invention Disclosure

An Innovation Disclosure is an internal document used at N.C. A&T to describe an inventive idea or object, establish inventorship rights, and as a record of disclosure to a third party of the invention. The document is used by the Office of Technology Transfer (OTT) to determine the commercial potential of the invention, evaluate the patentability of the invention, and as a record of compliance with laws regarding federally funded research (Bayh-Dole Act). This document is considered to be Business Confidential information and generally will not be disclosed to persons outside the University without a need-to-know.

The inventor(s) fill out a single form for each disclosure.  Include the % that each inventor contributed to the invention. Keep in mind that all named inventors may not have contributed equally to the invention. Describe the invention in sufficient detail so that someone reasonably skilled in the art would understand the nature of the invention and its utility. Submit the completed Innovation Disclosure to the Office of Technology Transfer.

Upon receipt of the completed Innovation Disclosure and in conjunction with inventor interviews, the OTT will begin a determination of the market potential of the invention. Subsequently, the OTT will investigate the intellectual property landscape in the field of the invention to determine if the invention meets minimum criteria for novelty, un-obviousness and utility. The market and patentability information is considered by the Intellectual Property Committee who will determine if the invention is suitable for patent protection and commercialization.

How to Work With a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)

A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) provides an outline of a desired relationship between the University and an external partner. The partner could be another university, a government entity (typically foreign), a corporation, or a philanthropic organization. The MOU typically describes the area(s) of proposed collaboration, the responsible personnel from both parties, the responsibilities of the parties, and the anticipated duration of the relationship.  The agreement is generally non-binding and can be readily cancelled. The MOU is usually a precursor to a more formal and definitive agreement between the parties that details responsibilities, funding, resources, reporting requirements, duties, contract period, and other obligations.

An MOU may originate from the University or be received by the University from an outside source. In either case, the procedure is the same:Carefully read the MOU and note any changes (using track changes in Word) you would like to see in the final document.

  • Send the MOU with your comments to the Vice Provost for OSPIE in the Provost’s Office who will read it next.
  • Depending on the content of the MOU, the Vice Provost will share it with others and request they also review it and return their comments to her/him.
  • The MOU will then go to the Provost for review and return to OSPIE.
  • The Vice Provost of OSPIE will forward the MOU to the Procurement Services Office for review.
  • It will go next to Legal Affairs for review.
  • The final step is Legal Affairs having it signed by the appropriate university officer.

Unless directed otherwise, MOUs are signed as follows:

  • Research-related MOUs are signed by the Vice Chancellor of DORED
  • Business-related MOUs are signed by the Vice Chancellor for Business and Finance
  • Academic MOUs are signed by the Chancellor or his designee

How to Work with a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

Sometimes referred to as a Confidentiality Agreement, an NDA provides the basis for two or more parties to share confidential information with the understanding that the subject information will not be disclosed to anyone outside the agreement. This type of agreement is used to protect business information, inventions, technical data, designs, etc. that originates with one party (Disclosing Party) who desires to collaborate with another party (Receiving Party) to achieve some mutually beneficial goal. The NDA may be in the form of a one-way agreement in which only one party discloses confidential information, or a mutual agreement in which both parties may each disclose confidential information in their possession. The subject matter covered and duration of the agreement are typically defined as explicit terms in the NDA.

If using a University approved format of the NDA, it may be presented to another party without modification. If you receive an NDA template from an outside source, it must be reviewed and approved by both the Division of Research and Economic Development and the Legal Affairs office. Any changes to the external NDA will be negotiated with the outside party by personnel in DORED and Legal Affairs.  In either case, the designated signatory for the University is the Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Development or her designee.

How to Work With a Material Transfer Agreement (MTA)

Material Transfer Agreements are used when University materials are transferred to or received from a company or another university for further evaluation, research or development. The MTA provides a description of the material, an explicit chain-of-custody, and the conditions under which the material should be studied or used. No license for use other than as described in the document, or rights to intellectual property related to the material is transferred to the receiver.

If you are transferring University owned materials to an outside party, use the University approved MTA form.  If you are receiving materials from an outside party, they will issue their own MTA that needs to be approved by Division of Research and Economic Development and Legal Affairs. In either case, depending on the nature of the transferred material and the intended research program, additional review and approval by the DORED Compliance Office may be necessary. This approval may require significant time, so please plan accordingly. The final MTA typically requires the signatures of both the Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Development and the University Principal Investigator or Researcher involved in the study.

How to Hire a Post Doc

PI must contact Brenda Lawshe-Jefferson, DORED Business Manager at (336) 285-3174 or to receive a post doc position number.

PI must complete the Postdoctoral Hiring Authorization Form and attach the following documents:

  • Copy of clearance notification using the Criminal Conviction Check Form
    • Important Note: The Criminal Conviction Check Form must be completed by the post doc candidate and submitted directly to Mrs. Penelope Smith, Sr. Staffing Services Specialist, via mail at 1020 E. Wendover Ave. Suite 109 Greensboro, NC 27405 or faxed to (336) 334-7477. If faxed, an original must be sent to Mrs. Smith at the address listed above.  The N.C. A&T hiring manager will receive a confirmation once candidate is cleared and prior to the offer of employment and submission of this request packet.
  • Copy of clearance notification for Export Control using the Foreign National Form
    • Important Note: Only used for non-resident foreign national visitors. To receive the form, please contact Penelope Smith, Sr. Staffing Services Specialist, at (336) 285-3783 or The N.C. A&T hiring manager will receive a confirmation one the candidate is cleared.
  • Signed and dated EPA Administrative and Faculty Employment Application
  • Copy of Employment Offer Letter (template for postdoctoral scholar)
  • Resume/CV
  • Official original transcripts for all degrees (i.e. Ph.D., MS, BS)
    • Important Note: The University does not accept pre-copied, color scanned, unofficial documentation to validate degrees.
  • Signed EHRA Non-Faculty Certifications and Conditions of Employment

    PI will obtain all required Administrative Approval signatures on the Postdoctoral Hiring Authorization Form.

    PI must submit the completed Postdoctoral Hiring Authorization Form and the required supporting documents to Brenda Lawshe-Jefferson, DORED Business Manager at (336) 285-3174 or for the Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Development for review, position number verification and approval signature.               

    Brenda Lawshe-Jefferson, DORED Business Manager, will submit the approved packet to EPA Salary and Budget Administration for further review and department approval.

    EPA Salary and Budget Administration will acquire the Funding Approval signature from the appropriate administrative office and it will submit the original Postdoctoral Hiring Authorization Form and all supporting documentation to the Student and Foreign National Employment Manager in the Division of Human Resources to complete the final review for employment processing.

    Student and Foreign National Employment Manager forwards complete Postdoctoral Hiring Authorization documents to the Processing Specialist to complete the job action for payroll.

    How to Reappoint a Post Doc:

    Only submit the Postdoctoral Hiring Authorization Form, a copy of the Reappointment Offer Letter (template for reappointment letter), and a copy of the Postdoctoral Scholar Annual Evaluation Form.  The original postdoc evaluation form should be maintained within the department.


    How to Check Your Fund Balance

  • Navigate to the NC A&T Banner 9 Production site:
  • Login with your NC A&T OneID.
  • Note that if you have not previously used Banner, you must first complete the Banner Finance Online training. To access the training, visit the Professional Development Portal at Login to the portal and click on “Catalog” in the left hand menu.  Click on the “Business and Finance” module. Select and enroll in the “Banner Finance Online” training.   Once completed, you will have access to Banner.  Note that Banner 9 employs a Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) login process.  If you have not completed the registration, you must do so before logging into Banner.  MFA information and registration can are located at

  • Type “frigitd” in the “Search” box
  • In the “Fund” field, enter your six digit Banner fund number
  • Press the “Tab” key on your keyboard
  • Under “Account Summary” choose “Budget Pool” in the dropdown
  • Click the “Go” button at the top right of the screen
  • Note that if your account has more than budget line items, you will need to use the dropdown to choose a larger amount of line items in the “Per Page” dropdown in the bottom left of the last budget line shown.
  • How to Drill Down to See Transaction Details

  • Click on the desired field in the “Activity” column
  • Click on the “RELATED” button at the top right hand corner
  • Click “Grant Transactions by Pool [FRIGTRD]”
  • Websites:

    Banner 9 (Production):

    Banner Training:

    Multi-Factor Authentication Information and Training:

    How to Request a No-Cost Extension (NCE)

    1.  The PI should submit a justification letter to the Grant Administrator in the Office of
      Sponsored Programs. Please copy on the request. Please include:

      a. A summary of progress to date (copy of the progress report),

      b. The reason why the work has not been completed,

      c. Length of additional time required to complete the project and justification,

      d. An estimate of remaining funds, and

      e. A detailed spending plan.

      - Important note: Submitting a no-cost extension request in an effort to spend out the
      remaining funding is not an acceptable. A programmatic justification is required.

      2. The Grant Administrator will contact the sponsor for its approval. Guidelines for extending
      the period of an award are normally provided in the awarding agency’s guidelines. If there are no
      guidelines or regulations covering a particular situation, DORED will be responsible for providing
      or obtaining the applicable guidelines. If needed, the Grant Administrator will seek approval

      3. The Grant Administrator will notify the PI regarding the sponsor’s decision. Approval
      no-cost extensions will be awarded in RAMSeS and notification will be provided to Contracts &
      Grants for accounting action. Disapprovals will be sent to the PI as well.

      4. The university policy for an NCE is here:

     How to Request a Budget Revision

     1. The Principal Investigator (PI) contacts the Grant Administrator for guidance on budget

        for the agency. Please copy on the request. The PI prepares the budget revision
        request letter.

        -Important Note: The guidelines for budget revisions are normally provided in the awarding federal
         agency’s guidelines. If the award is with the state or a private funder, the terms are normally
         stated in the award document. If there are no guidelines or regulations covering a particular
         situation, the Office of Sponsored Programs is responsible for providing or obtaining the
         applicable guidelines.

    2. The Grant Administrator routes the request for appropriate internal approvals, including the
       department chair and dean.

         -Important Note: The budget revision request must be prepared by the sponsor’s categories showing
         the increase and decrease of funds by category.

    3. Upon receiving internal approval, the Grant Administrator reviews the request for accuracy
       and submits it to the sponsor.

    4. If the sponsor approves the budget revision, the Grant Administrator completes a budget
    revision form and sends it and a copy of the approval letter to the PI. A copy of the approval
    letter is sent to the Office of Contracts & Grants with the budget revision. The budget revision
    form and the approval letter are uploaded into RAMSeS. If the sponsor denies the budget

    revision, the Grant Administrator notifies the PI.