Transfer Applicant

The University accepts qualified students by transfer from other accredited colleges. Applications for admission may be considered if the transfer applicant:

  1. is not presently on social or academic probation at the last or current school of attendance;
  2. has not been suspended or dropped from another institution; and
  3. has a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale from the transferring institution and is eligible to return to that institution.

Applications from transfer students cannot be considered until all credentials are received from the high school and all other institutions previously attended. In order to be exempt from all new freshman requirements, transfer applicants who have attended another accredited college must have earned six (6) transferable semester hours in each of the following areas – College level English, foreign language, college level mathematics, natural science and social and behavioral science, for a minimum of thirty (30) semester hours of transferable course work . Transfer for programs in the College of Engineering requires a 2.5 GPA if transferring from a four year institution with an accredited engineering program or 3.0 GPA if transferring from other types of institutions.

Transfer student applicants who fall under the following categories may be exempt from submitting high school transcripts and/or standardized test scores.

  1. Applicants who were awarded the high school diploma prior to 1988 and/or at least twenty-four years (24) old prior to the beginning of classes
  2. Applicants who have the associate of arts, the associate of science, or the associate of fine arts, the baccalaureate or any higher level degree.
  3. Applicants who have completed a degree under an articulation agreement.
  4. Applicants who have completed six (6) semester hours of degree creditable work in each of the following areas: English, Mathematics, the Natural Sciences, the Social and Behavioral Sciences, and Foreign Languages.

Transfer courses with a grade of “C” or higher are accepted as transferable course work. Accepted courses are recorded to the student's academic record, but grade points are not calculated on the transferred courses. The university does not accept transfer credit from challenge examinations or for course work where grades of P/F have been given. The maximum number of transferable credits is eighty (80) semester hours from a four year college and sixty-four (64) semester hours from a two year college.

The University of North Carolina System and the North Carolina Community College System have designed a Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) to facilitate the transfer of courses to most four-year colleges and universities in North Carolina. To be eligible for transfer credit under the CAA, the transfer student applicant must graduate from a North Carolina community college with an Associate in Arts (AA) or Associate in Science (AS) or complete coursework from the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement Course Offering List. To obtain more information about the CAA visit: NC Community College transfer students who graduate with an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) who satisfactory complete the degree program with a grade of “C” or better in all courses that are designated for college transfer will receive credit for those courses. Articulation of AAS degree programs will be handled on a bilateral articulation agreement rather than on a statewide basis. Transfer applicants who are not covered by the above stated policy are referred in the next section on special students.

For specific requirements freshmen and transfer applicants should refer to the respective schools/colleges section and to departmental listings. However, the University reserves the right to change admission standards prior to the semester the student plans to enroll.