Licensure and Certification

The Department of Counseling recognizes the importance of professional licensure and certification in counseling. We look forward to this important milestone and are happy to assist you in this process. 

For Students:

Students completing the program will receive a Master of Science degree in Mental Health Counseling - Clinical. Upon graduation, students are eligible to sit for licensure and/or certification exams depending on their professional interests. Consult the National Board for Certified Counselors website for further information regarding the board eligibility process and taking the National Counseling Examination prior to graduation.

Mostly commonly, Mental Health Counseling - Clinical students choose to take the National Counseling Examination (NCE) offered by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) in preparation for licensure and/or certification. This test is administered twice annually at NC A&T as well as at various locations across the country. Passing this test will allow students to apply for licensure in the state of North Carolina as a Licensed Professional Counselor through the North Carolina Board of Licensed Professional Counselors upon completion of the program.  Students who pass can also be recognized as board eligible by NBCC and apply for National Certified Counselor status immediately following graduation. Students are also eligible to apply for counseling licensure in other states, although the specific requirements will vary by location.

Students are encouraged to secure the Verification of Graduate Counseling Experience Form needed for licensure at the conclusion of the field experience. Please consult the North Carolina Board of Licenses Professional Counselors website for details regarding dates for submission of materials to be sure you are able to expedite your application efficiently.

For Graduates:

If you are a graduate of the Department of Counseling and need field experience verification for the acquisition of a counseling credential, please read the following.

  1. Contact your previous faculty supervisor(s) via e-mail to request field experience verification. Please consult the Department of Counseling webpage for current faculty contact information.  In the event that your faculty supervisor is no longer at NCAT, please direct your request to the department chair.
  2. Complete all student sections of any verification forms.  In addition, be sure to also attach the following:
    • Semester and dates of field experience
    • Number of indirect hours documented
    • Number of direct hours documented
    • Number of documented individual supervision hours with faculty supervisor
    • Number of documented group supervision hours with faculty supervisor
    • Name and address of field experience site
    • Name of site supervisor
    • Unofficial transcript
  3. Mail this information, along with a self-addressed and stamped envelope, to the appropriate faculty supervisor(s).  Please include a cover letter with your current contact information in case additional information is needed.
  4. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for processing of field experience verification forms.  Also, note that many faculty are unavailable during the summer months so plan accordingly.