Frequently Asked Questions

Q & A

What is Financial Aid?

Financial aid includes scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study.

Where does a student apply for Financial Aid?

All eligible students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on-line at in order to receive financial aid. The FAFSA is available for students to complete January 1 for the new academic year. The priority filing date for NCA&T is March 1.

Is there a deadline for applying for Financial Aid?

The application is available every January 1st. We have a priority filing date of March 1. We recommend this date for North Carolina Residents. The earlier you apply the greater your chances are for receiving grant dollars, if you are eligible.

If you miss the Priority filing date, still complete the FAFSA. This is only a priority date not a final date to apply. When you complete the FAFSA you are applying for Federal, State and some University assistance.

What is our Federal School Code? 

Our Federal School Code is 002905. This code is used to send your FAFSA information to NC A & T State University.

Who is eligible for Financial Aid?

In order to be eligible for financial aid, students must meet the following criteria:

  • U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens.
  • Degree seeking students.
  • Students admitted to a qualified post-baccalaureate or graduate program leading to a degree/certificate.
  • Students who are not in default on any prior student loans; do not owe a repayment on any Title IV financial aid.
  • Students enrolled in the required number of hours for whatever aid program is available.
  • Students who have completed the verification process by submitting all of the requested documents to the Office of Student Financial Aid.
  • A non-citizen, who is a permanent resident, is eligible for financial aid. The student must have the proper documentation, such as, a resident alien card (FAFSA requires this number be listed).
  • Male students between the ages of 18-25 must register with Selective Service at to receive financial aid.
  • Students who are on a temporary or student visa are not eligible for federal student aid.

Does a student have to apply for financial aid every year?

Yes, financial aid is not automatic and you must re-apply each year by completing a FAFSA at

Why do I have to provide parent information on my FAFSA?

Students are considered dependent or independent for financial aid purposes based on criteria established by the Federal Government. Parents of dependent students must provide their financial information in order to determine eligibility for the various federal aid programs. Check with your financial aid office to determine your dependency status if you are unsure.

I have been selected for Verification. What does this mean?

Verification is the process of verifying the information reported on the FAFSA in comparison to you and your parent’s tax returns. If you are selected you cannot be awarded until verification is complete. Please provide documentation as soon as possible. The initial documents include your and your parent’s tax transcript/data retrieval, and W-2’s, and completion of the verification worksheet. Sometimes there are additional documents we may request to resolve any conflicting information.

What information do I need to complete the FAFSA?

  • You will need a copy of your tax return for the prior year. For example, for 2010-2011 academic year, you would use your 2009 tax information.
  • A copy of your W-2’s
  • Documentation of any untaxed income such as child support, cash withdrawals from retirement plans and unemployment benefits.

What if we have not filed our taxes yet and we will not complete them until April, can I still complete the FAFSA?

Many families do not have their federal and state income taxes completed until April; however, this should not prevent you from applying for aid on time. The FAFSA allows you to use estimated income figures on its form. However, once you complete your taxes, you will need to update your application if there are any updates/changes to your original estimate you submitted. If you have already been awarded, your aid will be adjusted if necessary.

What is meant by Financial Aid Award?

A Financial Aid Award informs the student and parent of the types and amounts of aid the student will receive for the academic year.

Can I receive financial aid if am not a degree seeking student?

No. Students must be enrolled in a degree seeking program to receive financial aid.

Do I need to be full-time to receive financial aid?

No. Students may be enrolled less than half-time and be eligible for some federal financial aid programs. Awards are processed based on the enrollment status information indicated on the FAFSA. If a student changes enrollment plans, the Office of Student Financial Aid must be notified immediately.

If I have a Bachelor Degree. Am I considered a graduate student?

No, only a student who is officially admitted to a graduate program leading to a masters or doctorate degree is a graduate student.

What if I am seeking a second undergraduate degree?

You may be eligible for Federal Direct Loans. If you have a Bachelor Degree and want to receive aid for a second degree, you may wish to consult the Admissions Office to confirm admission in a second degree program. Students seeking a second Bachelor Degree are eligible to receive student loan.

What is cost of attendance?

Cost of Attendance is budget used in calculating your eligibility for financial aid. It is based on totals of both North Carolina A&T State University costs billed directly to your student account (such as tuition and fees) and estimates of other expenses that you will incur during your attendance at NC A&T State University (such as books, transportation, and miscellaneous needs such personal items). Please note that the cost of attendance does not reflect a student's actual charges.

Can a student receive the federal aid at NC A&T State University and another school in the same semester?

No, a student may only receive federal aid at one institution in the same semester.

My parents make too much money for me to receive financial aid. What options are available to me?

Regardless of how much money you or your parents make, you should still apply for federal aid. Some sources of federal aid are not need based which means you or your parents may qualify regardless of income.

What if my family’s financial circumstances change drastically during a given year? What can be done?

There are circumstances that will enable the financial aid office to adjust a student’s aid eligibility. These circumstances could include: job loss due to unemployment or illness, separation or divorce, or unusual medical expenses. If conditions such as these occur during the academic year, please contact the financial aid office. Do not send any letters to the federal aid processing center. They are not able to adjust your aid eligibility. Students and parents may also complete a special circumstance application.

Can I get financial aid for summer school?

Yes, you may be eligible for aid for summer school. Summer school aid is based upon any remaining eligibility after the fall and spring semesters. Year-round Pell is back for summer school. Year-round Pell allows students to receive up to 150% of a regular grant award over the academic year to assist students taking classes in the summer which could help with finishing their degree and graduating earlier. Students are encouraged to repeat failed courses during the summer to assist in increasing their cumulative grade point average.

Students must:

1.Meet all the Basic Student Eligibility criteria

2.Have a processed FAFSA on file

3.Complete a Summer School Application 2018

4.Be maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress

5.Have remaining Pell eligibility, and

6.Be enrolled at least half time (Undergraduates at least 6 hours and Graduates at least 5 hours).

Please complete and submit the Summer School Application 2018 by May 1, 2018 in order to be awarded before Summer Session I 2018 begins. 


Visiting students are not eligible for aid for summer.

What happens if I drop a course during the semester? How will it affect my financial aid?

Our Financial Aid maybe adjusted if you drop a course during the semester. Please consult with your financial aid advisor to determine if your aid will be adjusted based upon your award and the date you are dropping the course. If you are currently on a plan of action due to a SAP appeal for the semester, you may be ineligible for aid for the next semester.

Does an outside scholarship affect my financial aid award?

Outside scholarships must be included in your financial aid package as a resource to help pay for your educational costs. It is our policy to ensure that students are awarded for achievements and efforts by first applying these funds to any unmet need the student may have occurred. If need has been met 100%, we will reduce the student’s loan and/or grant amounts. It is the responsibility of the student to notify the financial aid office of all outside scholarship awards.

If Financial Aid is notified of outside scholarships after your aid has been disbursed, you may owe a balance to the University.

When do I have to repay my loans?

Repayment begins on student federal loans six months after graduation or after the student is no longer enrolled at least half time. Repayment for Parent plus loans begins immediately, 30 to 60 days after the initial disbursement. In all cases, loans must be repaid regardless of whether you complete the program or are satisfied with your educational experience. Failure to repay your loans can result in serious consequences and negatively impact your ability to obtain credit in the future.

Will I have to accept my loan in order to attend college?

As the cost of a college education rises, student and parents are borrowing funds to assist with the cost. Student loans are a component of the aid package and help families meet their educational costs. We encourage students and parents only to borrow what is needed to cover costs. [Back to the Top]

Are loans considered part of financial aid?

Yes Loans are considered part of the Federal Student Aid Programs and is considered part of your financial aid award package.

Federal Work-Study Questions