International Students

International Students who plan to withdraw from North Carolina A&T or plan to take a leave of absence (or plan to be outside the U.S. for one or more semesters) should consult with the ISSO to discuss how these plans will affect their current and future immigration status. After the fact notification is not acceptable and will result in students being “out of status."

An international student who requests a leave of absence may be eligible to interrupt his/her program of study if certain procedures are followed.

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students may only interrupt the program of study by withdrawing from the University. You should consult with the ISSO regarding circumstances for withdrawal. The request for withdrawal is processed by the Counseling Services Office (Murphy Hall – Room 108). A signature from an ISSO Advisor must be on the Withdrawal Request Form. You will be advised as to the immigration ramifications of a withdrawal.

Graduate Students

Graduate students in good academic standing may interrupt their program of study for valid reasons (e.g. family, illness, etc.) by requesting a leave of absence from graduate study for a definite period of time not to exceed one (1) calendar year. The request for leave of absence must be coordinated through the academic department to the Graduate School. It is your responsibility to notify the ISSO of this recommendation and provide a copy of the official recommendation letter. An ISSO Advisor will then inform you as to how this leave of absence may affect your nonimmigrant status. The ISSO will notify the Graduate School that you have contacted the ISSO and have been counseled regarding any legal consequences of taking a leave of absence.

In order to resume your program of study, you will be required to apply for re-admission to N.C. A&T and complete a new Financial Guarantee Certification before a new Form I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) can be issued. If you have pending matters with the University, additional requirements may be requested.