Travel and Departure

International Scholar Travel and Departure

Visitors planning to travel outside the U.S. and re-enter while in active J-1 status will need to have a valid passport, valid visa stamp in the passport which extends to the date you wish to re-enter, and the valid copy of the DS-2019 duly authorized for travel by the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO).

If your visa has expired you must apply for a new J-1 visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad. To obtain a new visa you will need to have a valid passport, the DS-2019 endorsed for travel by the ISSO, and proof of funding. The ISSO will also provide you with a letter verifying the nature of your travel and plans to re-enter to return to North Carolina A&T.

Travel to Canada, Mexico or Other Contiguous Territories of the U.S.

In most cases you will not need a valid visa to re-enter the United States if you have been in Canada, Mexico or other contiguous territories of the US for less than 30 days; however, it is always best to check with the country’s embassy you plan to visit before your travel begins. Before completing your travel plans, make certain that you have the following in your possession:

  • A valid DS-2019 signed on the back by an ISSO Advisor
  • A valid passport The I-94 card

When entering Canada for a trip which will be for less than 30 days, you should not hand over your I-94 card to airline personnel or Canadian officials. You will need the I-94 card when re-entering the U.S. This rule only applies when traveling to Canada or other contiguous territories for 30 days or less. The Canadian government requires that citizens from certain countries have a visa to enter Canada. Please consult with the Canadian Embassy to see if you need a visa to enter Canada.

If your visa is expired, refer to the Automatic Revalidation section on ISSO website. (Restrictions Apply)

Departure from the U.S. (Returning to Home Country to Stay)

Scholars and visitors planning to return to their home country once the J-1 program is complete will need to complete and return the Departure Form to the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) prior to departure of the United States.

For assistance in planning your departure review the Departure Checklist.