How to Join
To be eligible or considered for membership in fraternities, sororities and social fellowship organizations, the university requires that a student meet the following criteria:
- Successful completion of at least 12 credit hours at NC A&T State University during the academic semester prior to the intake semester (first semester freshmen and first semester transfer students are NOT eligible for membership during their 1st year on campus). For those who were enrolled in a cooperative education/intern experience during the fall semester, a letter of verification must be submitted to the Office of Student Activities prior to application for membership to be eligible.
- Have achieved a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 the semester prior to spring intake. Some organizations require a higher GPA for membership, therefore having a 2.5 does not guarantee a student’s eligibility for certain chapters.
- Must be an undergraduate student currently enrolled as a full time student, being registered for and successfully completing at least 12 credit hours during the academic semester in which intake is being held. Graduate students or students seeking an additional undergraduate degree are ineligible to participate in intake at A&T as they have already been awarded a degree and should seek membership in a Graduate or Alumni/ae Chapter.
- Be in good judicial standing with the university per the Office of the Dean of Students and have NO judicial, financial, or academic holds at the time of clearance/s.
- Must have attended at least one mandatory information session for membership intake offered by student activities during the academic year they wish to seek membership in a greek letter organization or social fellowship.
Elements of the first bullet point (above) may be affected by national organizations, of which N.C. A&T chapters are components; therefore, it is the responsibility of the chapter to secure clearance from its regional or national organization, i.e. some organizations require a higher cumulative average, giving the option to a chapter to use A&T's minimum requirement.
Compliance with A&T minimum requirements for application eligibility does not guarantee that a student will be selected or voted on for membership in an organization. Beyond minimum requirements, organizations have the right to select their members by criteria approved by the national governing body of the organization and accepted by the university as a fair policy. This criteria must be documented in the Office of Greek Life.
Membership Intake Regulations:
Recruitment activities are designated and allowed during the spring semester ONLY for those organizations which have registered and active chapters of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and Greek Lettered Council organizations. Each chapter must be in good standing with their national organization, the university, Student Activities and their respective council as stipulated in the Student Handbook. No student may be in a group or organized interest club, pay fees or perform duties or assignments before the membership intake program and schedule has been submitted by the active chapter and approved by N. C. A&T via the Office of Student Activities.
Membership Intake Restrictions:
All organizations that are eligible to do so may have only ONE intake period during the academic year per the approved and issued schedule from the Office of Greek Life. The schedule is for a maximum period to be identified and determined by the Office of Greek Life, in conjunction with the national/regional offices of the respective organizations in which to process new members. The approved schedule begins with interest meetings and ends at the point of induction, followed by new member presentations and new member orientation.