Pre-Arrival and Arrival Procedures
- The ISSO and the hiring department will maintain consistent communication throughout the entire process including the invitation and actual arrival of the J Visa holder. For general information regarding the University visit www.ncat.edu and for general information regarding the Greensboro Triad, please visit http://www.greensboro-nc.gov.
- The airport closest to the University is the Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO) http://www.flyfrompti.com. International access is also available into the Charlotte-Douglas International Airport and the Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU). Both Charlotte and Raleigh are approximately 90 miles from the University. Train and commercial bus services are available to Greensboro from most ports of entry into the United States. Upon arrival at the Greensboro airport, taxis and airport shuttle services are available to your destination in the City. There are costs involved with ground transportation. The ISSO does not assist with airport pickup or obtaining housing, so please arrange this through your hiring department and information made available to you through the proposed internet sites before departing for the United States.
- Unfortunately, on campus housing and residence halls are reserved for students who are enrolled in full-time degree study at the University. You may contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life (336) 334-7708 to request information regarding off campus housing which may be available to you. Please plan to arrive in advance of your projected begin date in case you wish to follow-up with Housing or make arrangements to visit local apartments and/or appropriate housing options. Your hiring department should also be available to assist you in this matter. You may wish to consider temporary housing while you search for a more permanent arrangement. Most apartments require the 1st months’ rent as well as other deposits in advance when signing a lease. Apartment rentals can vary from $375 to $1050 per month or more. Safety is an important consideration when selecting some place to live. It is recommended that you fully review and make certain that you understand all terms of your lease agreement before signing. The lease is a legal contract and will be adhered to. You may want to bring a colleague or friend to help you understand the renting process in Greensboro. The ISSO cannot assist with lease or rental agreements because of legal liabilities.
- Apartments can be rented furnished or unfurnished. Both types however, will include a stove and refrigerator. There may also be hook-ups for a washer and dryer. Some apartments include utility services in the cost of monthly rent; however, please make certain that you understand if this is the case. It may be an added advantage, but may cost more. Generally, if washer/dryer hook-ups are not available the apartment complex will offer a laundry room. There may also be facilities in the community.
In planning for your arrival to North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University located in Greensboro, North Carolina there are a few tips to keep in mind.
Travel: The airport for the Greensboro area is the Piedmont Triad International Airport/High Point-Greensboro (336) 665-5600
Taxi Services can be used as transportation from the airport to your housing destination or to the University campus.
The sponsoring department will assist Scholars and family with housing and acclimation to the area. Visiting Scholars and their families are always welcome to contact the ISSO for assistance, as needed.
Check-in Process Upon Arrival
All scholars are required to check in with the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO). Scholar orientation normally takes place during the check-in appointment. As a scholar you will complete a Scholar Information Form and copies of your immigration documents will be made. You will also receive an informative Welcome Packet. The check-in process must be completed prior to beginning employment on-campus. You will receive information on how to apply for a social security card and number.
Please make sure to bring the following documents to your check-in appointment.
- Form DS-2019
- Health insurance benefits and coverage information (if purchased prior to entry to the US)
- I-94 (Admission/Departure Form)
If you have a dependent spouse and/or minor child(ren) who traveled to the United States with you, you must also present their documents as listed above.
Please advise ISSO staff if you have a valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card upon arrival.
An appointment must be scheduled with an ISSO Advisor to assist with your check in process. The sponsoring department can schedule a check in appointment on behalf of the Scholar prior to your arrival at (336) 334-7551