Health Center FAQs

 1. What hours are the Student Health Center open?

The Student Health Center (SHC) is open five days a week, from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and closed on weekends and holidays.  

- Administrative Offices: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

- Nursing: 8:00 a.m – 7:00 p.m.  (Monday-Friday ONLY)

- Laboratory: 8:00 a.m – 7:00 p.m

- Medical Records: 8:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

- Pharmacy: 8:00 a.m – 7:00 p.m.

- Clinical Services:  8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

2. Who is eligible for services?  Students are eligible for health care services in the Student Health Center if they have paid the student health fee for the current semester. 

3. How much does it cost?  Depending upon complexity, doctor fees can range up to $250.  Laboratory studies and xrays would incur additional cost. 

4. If there is a charge, how can I pay?  Please refer to the Methods of Payment page

5. What does my health fee pay for? General operational expenses of the Student Health Center.  

6. Are doctors on campus?  Physicians are available on campus, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. 

7. Where is the Student Health Center?  The Student Health Center is located at 112 North Benbow Rd., Greensboro, NC.

8. Do I need an appointment to see a nurse or physician?  Appointments are encouraged, but not required to see a physician. You can minimize your waiting time by visiting the Online Student Portal or by calling SHC to schedule an appointment (336-334-7880).  Appointments can also be made in person.  Appointments are scheduled Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Urgent medical situations will be accessed immediately.  

9. What types of laboratory services are offered at the Student Health Center?  The Student Health Center offers comprehensive laboratory services to students of the university.  These services include hematology and chemistry profiles, STD testing, pregnancy tests, and a host of other procedures.  Some tests may require nominal fees.

10. How do I get a Student Health Center "hold" on my registration removed? All students, graduate and undergraduate, are required to submit immunization records and physical examination forms to the Student Health Center in order to register for classes. Once all required information is received and processed by the Student Health Center staff, the registration hold will be lifted.

 To retrieve immunizations and medical history information

11. Does the Student Health Center keep a copy of my vaccination records and how do I get a copy?

The Student Health Center keeps all health records; including vaccination records for a period of 10 years from the date /semester you first entered the university. To obtain a copy of your health records, you must submit a written request and pay $25.00 for the entire record.  To obtain a copy of your immunizations health records, you must submit a written request indicating your preference for a copy or fax.

To retrieve the Authorization Release Form

12. I need allergy shots. can the nurse at the Student Health Center give me my shot?  Yes. Contact the Student Health Center Nursing Staff at 336.334.7880 for the policy and procedures for administering allergy shots and costs.

13. What should I do if the Student Health Center is closed?  In the event of a medical emergency (injury or illness) anywhere on campus, please call 911 and Campus Police at (336) 334.7675. If necessary, the individual will be sent to the Emergency Department of  a local hospital of the individual’s choice.

After Hour Emergency Care

Students requiring medical care when the Health Center is closed (Operation Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 a. m.) should: 

  • Notify Resident Hall Directors of their condition as soon as possible.
  • For emergencies, please call 911 and Campus Police (336) 334-7675.

14. Can I get my prescriptions filled in the Student Health Center?  The pharmacy provides pharmaceutical services for eligible students.  Students have the option of using the health center’s pharmacy or an off-campus source.  Over-the-counter medications may also be purchased at the health center for a nominal fee.

15. Do I have to go to the Student Health Center for treatment first, or can I choose an outside provider?  You can see an outside physician or provider; however, you will be subject to any coinsurance that applies.  You are encouraged to use the Student Health Center for non-emergency conditions.

16. How confidential are my records?  All health records are confidential.  No release of information is given without written consent and/or a signed record release form from the student including faculty, staff, and parents.  (Exceptions: subpoena and medical emergencies)

17. Does the Student Health Center offer Counseling Services?  The Student Health Center provides psychiatric services for emotional or mental health issues by voluntary appointment only.  Student Health Center also employs a Board certified Psychiatrist who is available for consultations by appointment and as needed.  The Counseling Center, located in Murphy Hall, has professional counselors to assist students with emotional or mental health issues. 

18. What if I am too sick to go to class or miss a test because I am sick?  The physician or physician extender are the only ones who can grant excused absences from class.  Extended absences from classes for medical reasons are based on individual needs.  Refrain from requesting retroactive excuses covering dates/times that you were absent from class and not seen by the physician or nurse in the Health Center.  Students should refrain from waiting to be seen through scheduled class periods or examinations unless it is an emergency.

19. Health Fees  Flu shots, Allergy, X ray, massage therapy, pharmacy, etc.

If you have additional questions or concerns, contact the Student Health Center at (336) 334-7880 or via email.