Civic and Service Education (C.A.S.E.)
In the Fall 2006, the service-learning general education requirement was implemented by the Division of Academic Affairs. It requires the completion of 50 service-learning hours prior to graduation. The following will explain the Civic and Service Education (C.A.S.E.) program and guide you through the registration process. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office at (336) 334-7792 or visit us in Murphy Hall, Suite 104, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday.
New students at North Carolina A&T State University are required to complete a minimum of 50 service-learning hours prior to their capstone project in the senior year. Transfer students are required to fulfill service learning hours based upon the rank they enter the university:
Classification Hours Req’d Service Hrs.
Transfer Freshman 0-29 50
Transfer Sophomore 30-59 33
Transfer Junior 60-89 17
This should be an engagement in service, giving students the opportunity for dialogue and reflection. The service-learning is intended to provide exposure to many of the social and political issues dealt with in the classroom. Faculty members are responsible for establishing service-learning objectives for the students and to work with the C.A.S.E. office to connect with a community partner(s) that is academically relevant in the service-learning experience.
What is Service-Learning?
Service-learning is a participatory approach to learning which supports academic studies and helps develop the skills, citizenship and values of students. Its primary goal is to encourage understanding and evaluate the intricacies of our diverse and interconnected world by becoming contributing members of a local and global community.
How can I receive service-learning hours?
- Participation in structured service-learning activities in courses you are currently enrolled
- Participation in C.A.S.E. Community Partners programs and events
- Participation in C.A.S.E. sponsored activities or events
- Go to www.orgsync.com
- Click on REGISTER
- Select North Carolina A&T State University
- Create account and click CREATE.
- Complete Profile. This must be completed to move forward.
- Click on JOIN AN ORG at the top of page.
- Click on ORGANIZATIONS. Search service in the search box and join Civic and Service Education (2011, 2012, 2013, or 2014). Enter the password service (the password is case sensitive) and click submit. Return to HOME and you will find your new organization under My Orgs.
- Click My Orgs then C.A.S.E. - (20xx). Then go to FORMS and Complete the Student Application Form and submit.
You will also submit your service hours here on this site by going to EVENTS and then TIMESHEET. Please make sure you enter a contact name in the REFERENCE NAME area and a CONTACT NUMBER in the REFERENCE EMAIL ADDRESS space. PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THESE TWO AREAS BLANK.
Join us on Facebook (Civic and Service Education) and follow us on Twitter for all new and upcoming service project announcements.