Practicum & Internship for Graduate Students
The Practicum/Internship Training Program at Counseling Services is geared toward assisting the counselor trainee in developing a core of professional competencies or skills that would enable the trainee to function effectively as an entry-level counselor.
Requests for placement should be submitted to the Training Director by Nov. 1 for Spring semester and May 1 for the Fall semester.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The broad goals of the Practicum/Internship Program in counseling are:
- To expose the trainee to various counseling tools, techniques and strategies
- To expose the trainee to various assessment techniques and strategies
- To assist the trainee in his/her professional development
- To increase awareness of issues related to diversity and ethics
- To learn outreach approaches for prevention (alcohol/drugs, suicide, etc.) on a college campus
- To develop skills in group therapy through observation and possible co-leadership