Sample Questions to Ask the Interviewer
- What are the main objectives and responsibilities of the position?
- How does the organization expect these objectives to be met?
- Can you tell me about the primary people with whom I would be dealing?
- Can you describe a typical day?
- Is this a newly created position? If not, how long did the previous person hold it? Was the previous person promoted? What is the potential for promotion?
- How many and whom would I supervise? To whom would I report?
- How and when would my performance be evaluated?
- Is regular travel a part of this position?
- Where does this position fit into the company’s organizational structure?
- What results would you expect from my efforts and on what timetable? What improvements need to be made on how the job has been done until now?
- What the organization’s strengths, and what major problems/challenges does it face?
- What significant changes do you foresee in the near future for the organization?
- What do you see ahead for the company in the next five years?
- What do you see in the future for this industry?
- What type of training program does the organization offer?
- How does the organization stand in comparison with its main competitors?
- Can you describe the company’s culture?
- How does the company recognize diversity in its workplace and with its customers?
Education and Training
- What additional training might be necessary for this position?
- Is training done in a classroom/group session or is it handled on an individual basis?
- Are there training and development programs offered within the organization so that I can learn and grow professionally?
- Does the organization support further education for its employees?
- Does advancement to upper management usually require an advanced degree?
- Can you please tell me how your career has developed at the organization? Would someone entering the organization today have similar opportunities?
- How would you describe your management style/philosophy?
- What do you enjoy most about working for this organization?
- If you could change one thing about your position or the organization, what would it be?
- How long have you worked for this organization?
- What qualities are you looking for in a new hire?
- Are there any further questions about my qualifications I can answer?
- What is the next step in the process?
- When do you expect to make a hiring decision for this position?
**Always state you want the job (if you sincerely do) and why!