Setting up a Program at A&T
One of the most important steps employers will take to ensure success of a co-op assignment/experience is to write an effective job description. Students seek challenging assignments, but may not yet know a great deal about their field. A clear job description is a strong marketing tool. Before submitting your job description online through Aggielink, have some of the following information below.
- Brief description of your company, agency or organization
- Position descriptions of each opportunity
- Desired majors, interpersonal skills and technical skills
- Desired work dates
- Description of notable benefits such as housing stipends/allowances
After identifying available co-op positions, contact the Assistant Director for Experiential Learning, Pamela Basheer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-334-7755. Discussion will take place about the best way for your company/agency to reach potential co-op students. Several ways are listed below.
- Attend our career fairs.
- Participate in on-campus interviews.
- Post a position(s) on the OCS website
- Request resume referrals.
The career fair brings a lot of students to one place searching for opportunities with employers. Students can talk with employers informally and drop off a resume. Currently OCS has five (5) career fairs, including our major career fair in September. Contact information is listed below and everyone can be reached at 336-334-7755.
- Career Awareness Program and Fair, Cynthia Downing, email@example.com
- Health Care Fair, Cynthia Downing, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graduate and Professional School Day, Zebedee Talley III, email@example.com
- Education/Arts and Science Expo, Denise Burston, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spring Career Fair, Zebedee Talley III, email@example.com
Oftentimes the best way to select the proper student for available positions is to visit the N.C. A&T campus to interview prospective co-ops. Please contact the Scheduling Coordinator, Marketta King at 336-334-7755 or firstname.lastname@example.org to determine an agreeable date for on-campus interviews and receive an On-Campus Recruiting Packet.
The Office of Careeer Services uses AggieLink to manage all of its job/internships/co-op postings and on campus interviews. If you are interested in posting a job and/or internship/co-op, please create an Aggielink account and "Register and Post Local Job". After you have created an account, you will receive an approval message with your log-in information within 48 business hours.
Once the employer has emailed the position description to the Assistant Director for Experiential Learning at email@example.com, the position will be posted on the website for at least 30 days. Interested students will usually apply appropriately.
Some employers may not be able to visit the campus for interviews. In this case, Office will email your position to students in our database who meet stated qualifications and collect resumes from students who express interest. The Office will then email the resumes to the employer.
How long are co-op assignments and when do they begin?
Recruitment should take place one to two terms prior to the semester in which the co-op student is to begin work. Students are avaiable year-round mainly in four-month periods, three times a year. The terms are:
Fall: August to December, Spring: January to May, Summer: May to August