Campus Life Mentors
Are you looking for an amazing leadership opportunity? Do you want to help NEW FRESHMEN have a smooth transition into life as an Aggie?
This position will help current A&T students gain valuable leadership experience and will focus on providing a quality transitional experience for first-year students. Leaders will receive training throughout the spring on group facilitation, campus resources, and University expectations. As a Welcome Week Leader, you will have the chance to work with a partner during Welcome Week in facilitating group meetings and activities with a group of 25-50 first-year students.
You will be required to attend spring and summer training and event preparation during the week prior to Welcome Week in addition to Welcome Week itself. You will work in pairs and help guide new students through the Welcome Week program, focusing on providing a quality transitional experience for the students. As a WWA, you’ll be expected to:
- Create a welcoming and inclusive environment for new students
- Facilitate activities within small groups of new students
- Lead small group discussions
- Track small group attendance and participation
- Assist with New Student Move-In
- Support college-specific Welcome Week activities
- Lead and participate in Welcome Week community exploration events
- Assist with set-up and take-down of Welcome Week events
- Maintain professionalism when working with first-year students and while representing the Office of New Student Programs and the University
- Complete final program evaluations
- Attend post Orientation & Transitional Programs activities (closure, etc…)
- Complete miscellaneous duties as necessary
What You’ll Gain
- Confidence when leading a group of peers
- Cooperative relationships among the people with whom you work
- Practical knowledge of NC A&T
- Increased tolerance of ambiguity
Who We Are Looking For
You’ll be selected on the basis of your performance at the evaluation session, participation in, and completion of all required training sessions; adherence to North Carolina A&T State University policies and standards, and ability to meet all required time commitments.
You must demonstrate an ability to work well with others, communicate effectively, demonstrate mature judgment, and commit to a rigorous schedule. Additionally, you need to have patience, flexibility, and strong organizational skills, and be willing and ready to learn, and be willing to represent NC A&T State University with pride and courtesy!