Peer Mentor Position Information
Job Title: Peer Mentor
Department: Housing and Residence Life
Supervisor: Assigned after hired
Number of Positions: Up to 20
Peer Mentors are undergraduate student staff members a part of the Housing and Residence Life Team at North Carolina A & T State University. The Peer Mentor program is designed to help new and returning students learn more about NC A & T State University, meet new friends, gain leadership skills, and succeed academically. Peer Mentors are expected to devote a considerable amount of time and energy to this position. It is expected that, with the exception of academic pursuits, Peer Mentors will place their duties ahead of other personal and professional commitments.
- Provide an environment that encourages active involvement in the academic life of the campus.
- Promote and develop an environment that is conducive to academic achievement and endeavors.
- Provide opportunities for students to understand the value of academic challenge and success.
- Provide opportunities for students to become actively involved on campus and/or in the community.
- Create an atmosphere of campus pride and connection.
- Provide an atmosphere within the residence hall that fosters the development of community based on consideration, respect and appreciation of all individuals.
- Provide programming for students within the Residence Halls.
Peer Mentor Qualifications
- Have one semester of campus Leadership experience at NC A & T State University, although one academic year’s experience is preferred.
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA and maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Have one semester of on-campus housing living experience
- Have tutoring or mentoring experience is strongly preferred
- Must reside in an on campus Residence Hall for the 2017-2018 academic year
- Pay a $150.00 non-refundable housing application fee
- Stipend of $8,177.22 a year, $817.72 a month - Note: PMs must pay for their housing.
- Professional work experience
- Leadership development and training
The Fall 2016 Peer Mentor selection process timeline:
Application Deadline: February 15, 2016
For consideration, completed applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on February 10, 2017.
Please click here to apply for a Peer Mentor Position..
For additional questions about the Peer Mentor program, please contact:Dahlia Ashford, Assistant Director for Academic Retention
Office phone: (336)285-4326
Office location: Aggie Village 3 room 3118 DEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org