Graduate Hall Director Position Information
Job Title: Live-In Graduate Hall Director
Department: Department of Housing and Residence Life
Number of Positions: Various
2013-2014 Graduate Hall Director Position Description
The Department of Housing and Residence Life at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, consistent with the academic mission of the University, strives to create a positive growth environment for students by providing programs, services, and facilities that promote and support educational, social and cultural development.
The Graduate Hall Director is a live-in graduate student supervisor among the Department of Housing and Residence Life staff in the Division of Student Affairs. The Department is committed to a comprehensive residential program; one that blends the co-curricular with the academic to create a comprehensive educational environment assisting all residents in achieving their fullest potential. Graduate Hall Directors are essential in creating this environment. The quality of their supervisory skills has a significant direct bearing on the quality of life experienced by all members of the University community.
The Graduate Hall Director is recognized as a University Official and represents the university and the department on and off university property. Under the supervision of the Complex/Hall Director and Assistant Director for Residence Life, the Graduate Hall Director will fulfill the general requirements and responsibilities in this job description and the Graduate Hall Director employment agreement.
Graduate Students hired as Graduate Hall Directors are required to reveal the nature of their graduate program and all obligations they are required to attend, i.e. teaching assistants, research assistantships, conferences, etc. The Complex/Hall Director should be aware of this information well in advance as it will affect scheduling, building coverage, and department deadlines.
Requirements and Eligibility
- Must be enrolled and accepted as a full-time graduate student and carry a minimum of 9 credit hours.
- Must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 to hold the position.
- Maintain a clear judicial record with the Department of Housing and Residence Life and the Dean of Students' Office.
- Must sleep and live-in the assigned Graduate Hall Director room and building.
- Must have a functioning answering device in the room. Must check office mail, email, and answering devices daily. Must respond in a prompt manner to messages left by residents, colleagues and HD/Housing.
- If you decide to resign your Graduate Hall Director position, a written notice of resignation is required 10 business days in advance. This should be submitted to the Complex/Hall Director of your building.
- Display leadership qualities or characteristics as evidenced by previous leadership experiences, recommendations, and evaluations from the GHD Selection and Application process.
- Display strong interpersonal skills through proven ability to interact effectively with others as perceived through the GHD Selection and interview process.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Graduate Hall Director (GHD) is directly supervised by the Complex/Hall Director, and he/she assists in the supervision of Resident Assistants (RAs) assigned to the Residence Hall as well as other duties.
- Minimum 20 hours per week office duty.
- On-call schedule where carrying a pager is required.
- Rotational weekend duty.
The Graduate Hall Director position is compensated with a $10,000 package including, in-state tuition, room, meal allowance, and monthly stipend to be distributed over 9 month contractual term.
Period of Employment
July– May of Academic Year. Contract is renewable based upon end of year evaluation.
Interested Applicants, apply here.
For additional information contact Graduate Hall Director Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
North Carolina A&T State University
Department of Housing and Residence Life
ATTN: GHD Selection & Training Committee
1601 E. Market St.
Greensboro NC, 27411