Outreach and Civic Engagement
North Carolina A&T exists for three purposes: teaching, research, and public service and engagement. These aren't three discrete functions, but are overlapping, interconnected, and mutually supportive functions without boundaries.
As a land grant university, engagement has always been at the heart of A&T's mission. As a modern university, community-engaged teaching and community-engaged research give our students real-world experience they can apply directly to their professional and personal lives. They give our faculty extraordinary means to engage students and create new knowledge. And they give our community a partner, an ally, and an advocate.
- East Greensboro, historically neglected in public and private investment, but driven to create a better future for itself.
- Greensboro, a city facing an economy radically different than the industrial age that generated its 20th-century success.
- The Piedmont Triad, a region both urban and very rural, of the prospering and the left behind, complex and contradictory.
- North Carolina, a state of great economic and educational attainment but also devastating poverty and injustice.
- The United States and the world, which need every fine mind, every strong spirit, and all the new knowledge we can produce.
Paragraph on education outreach programs, linking to page with more information on specific projects.
Paragraph on community engagement, linking to page with more information on specific projects.
Paragraph on Cooperative Extension, linking ot one-page summary we'll create leading to the Extension website.