- Energy conservation measures in commercial and public buildings, including lighting, HVAC&R upgrades and envelope.
- Bio-diesel from soybean, sunflowers, cottonseeds, etc.
- Bio-ethanol from switch-grass, corn, and crop and wood residue.
- Biogas from animal waste and landfills.
- Hydrogen economy – development of palladium-silver composite membrane for separation of hydrogen at elevated temperatures.
- Clean coal technology – economics, policy and environmental issues.
- Energy security and independence.