N.C. A&T FACULTY MEMBERS NOMINATED FOR RESEARCH AWARDS
Seventeen outstanding faculty members at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, and three interdisciplinary teams, have been nominated for the university’s 2012 Research Excellence Awards.
The awards honor top researchers at all levels of faculty. This year’s program, adds two new awards, for interdisciplinary team research and for intellectual property. The annual program is now in its 13th year.
The winners will be announced on Wednesday, April 18 at the Research Excellence Awards luncheon on campus.
The nominees are all winners of the research awards in their school or college. This year’s nominees are:
Senior Researcher of the Year
• Dr. Dhananjay Kumar, College of Engineering, Department of Mechanical Engineering;
• Dr. Lyubov Kurkalova, School of Business and Economics, Department of Economics and Finance;
• Dr. Stephanie Lusk, School of Education, Department of Human Development and Services;
• Dr. Ram Mohan, Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering, Department of Nanoengineering; and
• Dr. Musibau Shofoluwe, School of Technology, Department of Construction Management and Occupational Safety and Health.
Outstanding Junior Researcher
• Dr. Lemuria Carter, School of Business and Economics, Department of Accounting;
• Dr. Ellie Fini, College of Engineering, Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering;
• Dr. Yevgenly Rastigeyev, College of Arts and Sciences, Department of Mathematics;
• Dr. Shengmin Sang, School of Agriculture, Department of Family and Consumer Sciences, Center of Excellence for Post-Harvest Technologies; and
• Dr. Qingan Zeng, School of Technology, Department of Electronics, Computer and Information Technology.
Rookie of the Year
• Dr. Shyam Aravamudhan, Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering, Department of Nanoengineering;
• Dr. Narayan Bhattarai, College of Engineering, Department of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering;
• Dr. Kathryn Kisska-Schulze, School of Business and Economics, Department of Management.
• The Economic Geography of Water and Agricultural Resources, Dr. Mark Burkey, team leader;
• NOAA Interdisciplinary Scientific Environmental Technology (ISET) Cooperative Science Center (CSC), Dr. Solomon Bililign, team leader;
• NSF Engineering Research Center for Revolutionizing Metallic Biomaterials, Dr. Jagannathan Sankar, team leader.
• Dr. Kelly Graves, School of Education, Department of Human Development and Services, Center for Behavioral Health and Wellness.
• Dr. Mitchell Henke, School of Technology, Department of Graphic Systems and Technological Studies, Folded Sheets of Material for Use as a Structural Member and Assembly Thereof.
• Dr. Ajit Kelkar and Dr. Lifeng Zhang, Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering, Department of Nanoengineering, Novel Carbon Nanofibers, Yarns and Weaves from Electrospinning and Their Innovative Composite.
The selection committee for the awards is appointed by the chancellor. This year’s committee consists of Dr. Shanthi Iyer, Department of Nanoengineering, chair; Dr. Anthony Graham, Department of Curriculum and Instruction; Dr. Kofi Obeng, Department of Economics and Finance; and Dr. Guoqing Tang, Department of Mathematics.