Welcome to Legal Affairs
The mission of the Office of Legal Affairs is to address the legal needs of the University by providing in-house legal analysis and information on all matters affecting the University.
The Office of Legal Affairs endeavors to address lawsuits, administrative agency complaints, internal administrative grievances, appeals, tort claims, business transactions, employment matters, student affairs issues, regulatory and statutory compliance issues. The Attorney General for the State of North Carolina represents institutions in litigation and they depend on the Office of Legal Affairs to serve as liaison by assisting in the handling of the University's litigation matters.
- Coordinate policy and legal matters, as well as advise on legal implications of policy decisions.
- Research law, prepares opinions and provide advice for administrative offices and Academic units based on Federal and State laws and regulations.
- Handle matters with outside attorneys and reporters concerning matters such as North Carolina Public Records laws.
- Review all contracts, memorandums of understandings that implicate the University’s finances and liabilities, as well as assisting with patents, copyrights and trademarks.
- Serves as the University’s liaison for logo licensing and trademarks coordinator.
- Advises the Board of Trustees as well as other University boards.
The Office of Legal Affairs does not provide legal advice for individuals seeking to pursue personal legal matters.
In its 2017 Best Colleges rankings release, the U.S. News & World Report has ranked North Carolina A&T State University at the No. 1 historically black college or university (HBCU) in North Carolina and the No. 2 public HBCU in the nation.
The United States Department of Education Office of Special Education Programs has awarded a $1.2 million grant to the College of Education at North Carolina A&T State University to increase the number of highly qualified special education teachers produced for K-12 public schools.
Each year The National Black College Alumni (NBCA) Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony honors outstanding graduates of Historically Black Colleges and Universities who have made significant contributions to society and have excelled in their chosen field or endeavor.