Hiring an SPA Temporary Employee
Hiring managers/supervisors employ SPA temporary employees on a seasonal basis to provide additional help to complete special projects, registration activity or in the absence of regular staff. The temporary employment option is available and is used as funds are identified to support periodic requests.
After the need and funding have been identified for a temporary employee by the hiring department, the hiring manager should complete a Recommendation for Temporary Employment (T101-10) form (Completing Sections I, II and III) and the Recruitment Justification (PD303) form for 61410 (Temporary funds) or 61210 (Paid Against funds) accounts; including, obtaining authorized departmental and administrative signatures and submit forms to the Division of Human Resources for approval at least 10 work days prior to the date that you wish to employ temporary labor.
State Funds must have the signature approval of the respective Dean, Vice Chancellor and/or Provost and will be forwarded by the Division of Human Resources to the Budget Advisory Committee for approval prior to being approved by the Office of Budget and Planning. Grant Funds must have the signature approval of the Dean. These forms will be forwarded to the Office of Contracts and Grants by the Division of Human Resources for funding approval. Prospective SPA temporary employees can be offered the appointment upon approval of funds and confirmation of entrance date.
Upon submission of the candidate’s on-line application and the criminal background check clearance, the Division of Human Resources will approve and forward to Budget & Planning or Contracts & Grants for funding approval.
Prerequisites for Selected Candidates to Begin Work
- Submit an application online.
- Complete a Criminal Background Check form.
- Once the Criminal Background Check has cleared, the Hiring Manager will be notified.
Approval of Requests
- Original Copy of the T101-10 - Recommendation of Temporary Employment form will be returned to the Division of Human Resources.
- Hiring Manager will be notified via email/phone call of approval and effective date of temporary employment.
- Candidate will be contacted to set appointment for Orientation located in DHR.
- In Orientation, the new hire will complete required direct deposit forms along with Federal and State tax forms, learn about temporary employee policies and procedures, receive Banner ID for entering hours worked through Web Time Entry (including receipt of a payroll calendar) and complete mandatory I-9 form.
- After steps A-D are complete, the temporary employee can begin his/her assignment and an employment confirmation letter will be sent to the employee.
Requesting E-Mail Accounts
Current and newly hired temporary employees are permitted to request an e-mail account.