Coming Soon: A New and Improved Email
To: Aggie Community
From: Barbara J. Ellis, Vice Chancellor for the Division of Information Technology & CIO
The Division of Information Technology is in the process of upgrading our campus email platform to IBM Lotus Notes 8.5.x. This upgrade provides a richer email system with new and enhanced features. With the rollout of the new version of Lotus Notes 8.5.x, we are establishing a standard email platform for the university. The launch of IBM Lotus Notes 8.5.x during the 2011 Fall Semester will mark significant improvements in our email experience and how we manage our workflow in the future.
A significant feature of this upgrade is the ability to provide an easy migration for our Microsoft Outlook users to the Lotus Notes client. The new IBM Lotus Notes provides a ‘look and feel’ comparable to Outlook. We can easily import contacts and transfer files while maintaining the integrity of your environment. Whether you’re on the move or sitting at your desk, IBM Lotus Notes 8.5.x will allow users to reset forgotten passwords and enable easy-to-use security-rich applications that are robust & scalable. The upgrade to IBM Lotus Notes 8.5.x supports business flexibility, agility, and so much more. We are confident that the IBM Lotus Notes 8.5.x upgrade will meet your needs while providing much needed standardization for our university.
Highlights of the Lotus Notes 8.5.x upgrade include:
- Enhanced Security and Reliability – IBM Lotus Notes protects your Notes workspace and data at all times and enables you to designate others to have access to your data. Users can send and receive signed and encrypted mail to safely share data through Notes with other Notes users or with Internet users. You can also encrypt mail that you have saved in your mail database. These new security measures utilize stronger encryption using Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) algorithms approved by the Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) and enables administrators to encrypt incoming mail using Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) format.
- IBM Lotus Notes Traveller – this new feature for the mobile user provides automatic syncing, working in the background to provide real-time email content with attachments, calendar appointments, folder views, to-do lists and contact lists while on the go! Share up-to-date status information and make decisions about events as they happen – real time, right NOW.
- (Applies to SmartPhone, iPhone, iPad users. Blackberry users will continue to use the proprietary Blackberry service offered by RIM.)
- Shared Calendaring – enabling multiple calendar views to coordinate the activities of your departments, teams, and work groups. Need an easier way to calendar meetings and events with your team and colleagues across the campus? Use the shared calendaring feature, it’s easy and convenient!
- SameTime Instant Messaging – Need an answer quickly? You can now instant message your colleagues and receive a response on the spot, providing another avenue for communication.
- Drag and Drop capabilities – easily move email around to store or move content, add or export information to or from Lotus Notes.
- RSS feeds – need to know what’s happening up to the minute, enjoy the capability to subscribe to RSS feeds from your favorite publications or web sites.
- iNotes – web client that enables different modes of operation for access to email, calendars and web applications in the office, at home or on the road.
- Look and feel – greater flexibility to customize the look and feel of your desktop
- Performance and Availability enhancements – 35% reduction in storage requirements, enhanced image compression
- No license fee for faculty & students – Cost Avoidance
- Enhanced Contact List – move contacts to Lotus Notes from other applications; create distribution lists, and iCard support.
We are currently deploying the backend infrastructure and have the Phase I pilot underway to test the migration processes, features and functions of the upgraded platform. The first phase of implementation includes a small segment of our user population with full rollout to all faculty and staff by the end of December 2011. Stay tuned for more details as we move forward with the implementation of IBM Lotus Notes 8.5.x.
Please feel free to visit our FAQ's, contact Aggie Tech Support (ATS) at (336)334-7195 or your building’s technology support technician. Thank you for your continued support.