Student Financial Aid

The Office of Student Financial Aid makes every effort to assure that no qualified student will be denied the opportunity to attend because of a lack of funds. Financial aid is funds awarded to assist students in covering their educational expenses. Financial aid is awarded without regard to a student’s race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, or disability. The University provides financial aid for students from four basic sources: grants, scholarships, loans, and employment.

The University student aid funds are administered in conjunction with a nationally established policy and philosophy of financial aid for education. The basis of this philosophy is the belief that parents are the primary and responsible resource for helping to meet educational costs, and financial aid is available for filling the gap between the student’s resources and expenses.

The amount of the contribution expected from parents is related to consideration of a family’s net income, number of dependents, number in college and other financial information. The federal methodology is used to determine the student’s and parents’ expected family contribution (EFC). In order to be considered for federal, state and some institutional and private assistance, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students are encouraged to apply online at

The University utilizes the “packaging concept” of financial aid. Students who apply early with great need may expect assistance through a variety of sources, which may include loans, employment, scholarship and/or grants.

Typical Sources of Financial Aid

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Federal Work-Study Program
  • State Tuition Grant (Need Based)
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Campus Based Grant
  • Federal Direct Student Loans
  • Federal Direct Parent Loans to Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

Detailed information pertaining to federal and state programs may be found on the web at

The University offers several types of Departmental and Institutional Scholarships. The majority of these scholarships are administered within the academic and athletic departments. Students interested in these scholarships should contact the academic departments or respective athletic coach.

A student seeking consideration for financial assistance must complete the following steps:

  1. Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to the Federal processor.
  2. Use the Data Retrieval option when completing the FAFSA to link IRS data to the FAFSA. Submit copies of income information or other documents, if selected for verification or information is requested, to the Office of Student Financial Aid.

A student who completes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid will be considered for all financial assistance at the University for which he/she is eligible provided funding is available. The priority deadline is March 1st  to have a processed FAFSA and all requested documents on file in the Office of Student Financial Aid to receive priority consideration for assistance. Students must complete the FAFSA each year beginning January 1st. Students attending summer sessions must complete a summer school application available on the Financial Aid website in mid-March.

Entering Students. A student entering the University as a new student or continuing student should apply for financial aid immediately after January 1st of any academic year. An award will not be made until a student is admitted to the University. Therefore, it is important that the admission process be completed as soon as possible. Any student who is admitted to the University as a “Special Student or Non-Degree” student is not eligible to receive financial assistance unless he/she is working on completing Teacher Certification.

Graduate Students. A graduate student who applies for financial aid may be considered for loan assistance and Federal Work Study through the Office of Student Financial Aid. Information about graduate assistantships and fellowship may be obtained from the Graduate School Office or academic department.

To be considered and remain eligible for federal financial assistance, a graduate student must be admitted into a degree seeking program and maintain a 3.0 or better cumulative grade point average and earn at least 67% of attempted courses.

Information about Other Financial Aid Programs

A student is encouraged to apply for sources external to the University. Any award from an external source must be reported to the Office of Student Financial Aid to be included as a part of the student’s total aid. A student may be eligible for assistance from the following programs:

  1. The University of North Carolina Need Based Grant. Grant funding is available to North Carolina residents who enroll at least half-time at one of the 16 campuses of the University of North Carolina system. The award amount varies. Eligibility is based on a calculation of need, using income data from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
  2. North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship (NCELS). Grants funds available to North Carolina residents who enroll at least half-time as an undergraduate student. The award amount is between $100-$3,400 per year. Eligibility is based on data calculated from the FAFSA.
  3. Vocational Rehabilitation. Grants may be provided to students who have a mental or physical disability that is an impediment to employment. The amount of the grant is based on financial need and the type of program in which the student is enrolled. North Carolina students should contact the Vocational Rehabilitation Office nearest the student’s home or the North Carolina Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services in Raleigh, NC.
  4. North Carolina Prospective Teachers’ Scholarship-Loan. This program provides scholarship loans to qualified students who are pursing a college degree to become a public school teacher in the State of North Carolina. Applications may be completed on-line at Additional information may be obtained at
  5. North Carolina Veterans’ Scholarship. A full scholarship for four academic years at a state-supported institution may be awarded to children of certain deceased or disabled veterans or children of veterans who were listed as POW/MIA. The veteran must have been a legal resident of North Carolina at the time of entry into the service or the child must have been born and  resided in North Carolina. Interested students should contact the North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs in Raleigh, NC.
  6. Rehabilitation Assistance for Visually Handicapped. Grants may be provided to full-time North Carolina residents who are blind or visually impaired. Students must attend a North Carolina post-secondary institution. The amount of assistance is based on need. Interested students should contact the Chief of Rehabilitation Services, Division of Services for the Blind in Raleigh, NC.
  7. Nurse Scholars Program (NSP). The Nurse Scholars Program is a competitive, merit-based scholarship/loan program available to North Carolina students entering the nursing profession. Students are selected based on academics, leadership potential and the desire to practice nursing on a full-time basis in North Carolina. Students may contact the Office of Student Financial Aid or School of Nursing at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University for additional information.
  8. ROTC Scholarships. Air Force ROTC and Army ROTC scholarships are available on a competitive, merit basis to interested students. Interested students should contact the ROTC Offices on campus.
  9. The Quiester Craig Scholarship Fund. An anonymous benefactor endowed this fund to provide academic scholarships for students majoring in Accounting. Named in honor of the School Dean, Dr. Quiester Craig, the recipients are determined by the Dean of the School of Business and Economics in consultation with the Chairman of the Accounting Department.
  10. Special Engineering Grants and Scholarships. Students admitted as Engineering Majors are reviewed as part of the admissions process for eligibility for several scholarship programs. Criteria include a high school record of distinction. These programs are supported by the National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering, Inc. (NACME), R.J. Reynolds Company, and others. In addition, a variety of corporations support scholarship and Co-op programs, internships, and summer employment opportunities for engineering students who have attained outstanding scholastic records during their freshman or sophomore years and who have met other program-specific criteria.
  11. The North Carolina Teaching Fellows Scholarship Program. The North Carolina Teaching Fellows Scholarship Program provides $6500 per year to selected outstanding North Carolina high school seniors. Applicants are chosen on the basis of high school grades, class standing, SAT scores, writing samples, community service, extracurricular activities, and references from teachers and members of the community. Recipients must be accepted for admission to the University. Applications are available from the North Carolina Teaching Fellows Program and high school counselors’ offices. Additional information may be obtained at
  12. Ronald McNair Scholarships. Ronald McNair Scholarships are offered to economically or financially disadvantaged students entering the fields of physics or engineering. High school seniors are invited to apply for these scholarships. Interested students should contact the Department of Physics or Engineering at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University.
  13. North Carolina Student Loan Program for Health, Science, and Mathematics. Legal residents of North Carolina accepted as full-time students in an accredited baccalaureate or master’s programs leading to a degree in specified health, science or mathematics-related fields. Recipients are selected according to their major, academic capabilities and financial need. Maximum loans range from $3,000 to $6,500 a year depending on the degree level. The scholarship-loan is renewable.
  14. Sigmund Sternberger Scholarships. Sigmund Sternberger scholarships are available to assist full-time undergraduate Guilford County students attending the University.
  15. The C.M. and M.D. Suther Scholarship Program. This award is available to a full-time North Carolina resident undergraduates with a demonstrated financial need. The scholarship can be made either to a freshman who graduated in the top 25% of his/her high school graduating class or to an upper-class student with an academic average of at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average. Only one award is made each year and is nonrenewable. The Director of Student Financial Aid chooses the recipient.
  16. Dr. A.P. and Frances Dickson Scholarships. The A. P. Dickson scholarship is awarded annually to a full-time undergraduate student who currently resides in Hoke County, North Carolina. The Director of Student Financial Aid chooses the recipient on the basis of academic standing and financial need. The award may be renewed and vary in amount according to income available from the Trust.
  17. James Lee Love Scholarship. The James Lee Love Scholarship is awarded annually to a full-time North Carolina resident undergraduate student. The recipient is selected by the Director of Student Financial Aid on the basis of academic standing and financial need. Awards are nonrenewable and vary in amount according to income available from the Trust.
  18. North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State National Alumni Scholarship. The North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University National Alumni Scholarship is a four-year scholarship awarded to four entering freshmen. The alumni chapters distribute the applications and other criteria to the area high schools. To be considered for the scholarship, the applicant must have a 3.0 cumulative grade point average and a minimum SAT score of 1000 or a minimum ACT score of 24. The filing deadline for the scholarship application is February 15th of each year. The recipient must maintain at least a 3.00 cumulative grade point average each semester for continued eligibility. Interested students should contact the Student Financial Aid Office or any NC A&T State University Alumni Chapter.
  19. UNC Campus Scholarship. The UNC Campus Scholarship is intended to provide assistance to a diverse group of students at NC A&T State University. This scholarship is used to attract an academically prepared group of students, recruit a diverse group of students to the university and to retain current students. This scholarship will be used after all other need-based aid for which the student is also eligible has been included in the student’s financial aid package. The total scholarship award under the program shall carry a maximum value not to exceed $3,000.
  20. Nurse Education Loan Program (NESLP). The Nurse Education Loan Program was created to reduce the shortage of practicing nurses in North Carolina. The scholarship loan is based on the student’s financial need and other factors such as academic performance. Additional information may be obtained from the School of Nursing or the Office of Student Financial Aid  at North Carolina A&T State University.


The Higher Education Amendment Act of 1965, as amended, mandates institutions of higher education to establish a minimum standard of “Satisfactory Academic Progress” for students receiving federal financial aid. North Carolina A&T State University makes its standard applicable to all federal, state and institutional funds. The satisfactory academic progress applies to all terms regardless of whether financial aid was received. Satisfactory academic progress will be evaluated for all students (full or part-time) annually (at the end of each spring semester). Students re-admitted under the “five year rule” must also meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards to receive financial aid.

To ensure Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) students must meet all of the following standards:

  • Minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA)
  • Minimum Completion Standard for Attempted Credit Hours
  • Maximum Time Frame for Degree Completion

Undergraduate SAP Requirements

All undergraduate students must maintain the following minimum requirements to be in compliance with SAP:

Total Number of Attempted Hours Minimum Cumulative GPA
1-12 1.60
13-24 1.75
25-36 1.90
37 or more


Graduate and Doctoral SAP Requirements

All graduate and doctoral students must maintain the following minimum requirements to be in compliance with SAP:

  • Must have a Cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.0 or higher
  • Must Earn 67% of Hours Attempted
  • Must not Exceed 150% of Hours Required for Degree Completion

Completion Standard for Attempted Credit Hours

Students who receive financial aid must successfully complete a minimum of 67% of all attempted hours. If the number of completed hours drops below 67%, the student will no longer be eligible for financial aid. Attempted hours include all hours attempted at the University and transfer hours, whether or not the student earns a grade or receives credit. Successful completion of a course means that the students must obtain a grade of A, B, C or D (excluding a grade of D for a graduate or doctoral student).

To calculate 67%, multiply the total number of attempted hours by .67 (rounded to the nearest whole number). As an example if a student attempts (registered for) 30 credit hours in an academic year, he or she must complete a minimum of 20 credit hours (30 x .67 = 20) in order to ensure SAP for the year.

Maximum Time Frame

The number of credit hours a student attempts may not exceed 150% of the number of credit hours required for graduation in his or her program of study, as published in the University Bulletin. If the published number of hours required for graduation is 124, a student may not attempt more than 186 credit hours (124 x 1.5 = 186) and continue to receive financial aid. All periods of enrollment must be considered, even those for which the student did not receive financial aid as well as hours transferred from another school. If the number of attempted hours reaches 150% of the hours required for graduation, the student will no longer be eligible for financial aid.

Second Degree

Students who have already earned a bachelor’s degree and are pursuing another undergraduate degree must submit a completed Second Degree Form. Second-degree students cannot exceed the aggregate loan limit for an undergraduate student. Second-degree students must maintain a 2.0 annually and pass .67% of the hours attempted.

Teacher Certification

Students must maintain a 2.0 annually and pass the required number of hours as all other students.

Dual Degree/Double Major

Students must maintain progress as stated above. Students who are seeking a dual degree, must be maintaining SAP prior to declaring their dual/double degree.


A”W” grade which is recorded on the student’s transcript will be included as credits attempted and will have an adverse effect on the student’s ability to maintain satisfactory academic progress. Students who officially withdraw from the University must make up the deficit hours and are encouraged to attend summer school to remove the deficient hours.  The successful completion of a course is defined as receiving one of the following grades: A, B, C or D.  Courses with grades of F, I, U and W will not qualify in meeting the minimum standard.

Incomplete (I) Grade

An incomplete grade indicates that a student has not finished all course-work required for a grade and is included in the cumulative credits attempted. An incomplete will count toward attempted hour but not as hours passed until a final grade is posted in the Registrar’s Office.

Repeated Courses

A student who has received a failing grade in a required course at this University must repeat and pass the course unless otherwise indicated by the Registrar or Dean.  Students (undergraduate and graduate) may only receive federal financial aid for one repetition (repeat) of a previously passed course.  Students who have already passed a course with a grade of a D or better may only repeat the class one additional time and receive financial aid for that course. All repeated courses are included in the total attempted hours for SAP evaluation.

Change of Major

A student may change from one degree to another during attendance at the University. Students who change from one major to another are still expected to maintain satisfactory academic progress and complete the course work within the time frame or hours limitation stated unless an appeal is approved. All attempted hours from a prior major are included in the total attempted hours.

Audited Courses

Courses audited do not count as either attempted or earned hours.

Hours Enrolled

The number of credit hours in which the student is enrolled on the day following the published last day to add/drop a class will be used as official enrollment for financial assistance purposes; full-time status is 12 or more hours. If a student withdraws from classes after the last day to add/drop a course they may not meet the minimum number of hours to be earned in one academic year.

Readmitted students will be reviewed on their previous academic records in order to determine eligibility for assistance, whether or not financial aid was received. Readmitted students not maintaining SAP must submit a letter of appeal.

Students who have been placed on Academic Suspension or Dismissal from the University must meet our Satisfactory Academic Policy (SAP) once they are re-admitted. Readmitted students are not automatically eligible for Financial Aid, if they do not meet the standard, they have an option to submit an appeal.

Financial Aid Termination

Students who do not meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards are not eligible for further financial aid and this includes Summer I, Summer II and Dual sessions unless the student was granted continuation from the Spring semester and allowed a probationary period for the summer session. Students who are placed on probation for the summer will be eligible for available financial assistance. Students will be notified by Office of Student Financial Aid of their financial aid termination at the end of the spring semester through a letter to their permanent home mailing address and to their University e-mail account.

Students whose financial aid is terminated from financial aid must remove their academic deficiencies or have an appeal granted before their aid can be reinstated. Students who withdraw from a class or classes after the add/drop period, receives all “F’s” for the semester or a grade of “Incomplete” may affect their ability to earn the required credit hours.

Conditions for Reinstatement

Students who are denied federal and/or state financial aid for failure to meet the SAP standards are advised by the Office of Student Financial Aid of their right to appeal the decision. Students may appeal the decision in writing to the Office of Student Financial Aid if they had extenuating circumstance(s) that led to their unsatisfactory academic progress. The student will be notified in writing of the decision. If the student is not satisfied with the decision, then the final option is to appeal to the Financial Aid Appeals Committee. The student must request in writing that their appeal be reviewed by the Committee. This request must be submitted to the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Chair of the Financial Aid Appeals Committee will notify the student in writing of the decision.

Any student whose financial aid has been terminated may reestablish satisfactory academic progress by any of the following methods:

  • Enroll in a course or courses for Summer I, Summer II and/or Dual Session.
  • Repeat courses in which a grade of F was earned.
  • Satisfy requirements for all incomplete grades.

Appeal Procedure

Students not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress may appeal for consideration of financial aid. To appeal for the reinstatement of financial aid eligibility, students should complete and submit the Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal form to the Office of Student Financial Aid indicating the extenuating circumstance(s) (i.e. personal illness, injury, medical problems, undue hardship, death of parent or immediate family member, or other special circumstances) that may have prevented the student to perform at his/her academic best must accompany the Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal form.

Students will be notified, in writing of the appeal decision. If an appeal is approved, the student must sign a Satisfactory Academic Progress Action Plan with the Office of Student Financial Aid and submit an Academic Plan of Action from the academic department.  Students who are granted an appeal and do not meet the requirements are placed on financial aid suspension until satisfactory academic progress is achieved.

Appeals are reviewed within the Office of Student Financial Aid first. If an appeal is denied, the student may request that the appeal be reviewed by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee.

It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of his or her academic standing each semester. The Office of Student Financial Aid will make every effort to promptly notify students of the cancellation of the award and their academic standings.