Academic Dismissal

Academic dismissal will occur when a student returns after a one semester suspension, or a successful appeal after suspension, and fails to achieve a minimum 2.00 semester GPA while on academic probation after suspension. Students who have been academically dismissed cannot enroll at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University.

One year after an academic dismissal, a student may apply for readmission to the University. The student’s academic department and college/school must approve the readmission. Students must be accepted into an academic department in order to be readmitted after academic dismissal. During the readmission process, students may simultaneously seek and execute a change of major. Such a change of major and the student’s readmission must be supported by the student’s new academic department.

Students are advised to begin the readmission process/change of major with their academic department and college/school prior to the University’s posted application deadline. If readmitted, the student will return in an academic probation status, which will be maintained until the student achieves good academic standing. In consultation with their academic advisor, students on Academic Probation after Dismissal must develop an academic plan of action for each semester they are on academic probation after dismissal. The student, the academic advisor, the academic unit’s retention coordinator and the Office of Enrollment Management will receive copies of the academic plan of action for information purposes and for monitoring compliance.

An academically dismissed student who has not been enrolled at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University for at least 5 years (10 consecutive fall and spring semesters) may be eligible for one readmission under the “Five Year Readmission Policy” described below.

Academic Dismissal Appeals

Any student who has been dismissed from the University must be out for a minimum of one semester before an appeal may be made to the Committee on Admission and Academic Retention. Appeals are to be addressed to the Committee on Admission and Academic Retention in care of the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.