Financial Trading Room CFA Challenge Students
Financial Trading Room
The primary mission of the Financial Trading Room is to provide an experiential learning environment in which students can observe the interaction of market concepts and behaviors through simulated trading and analyses. Based on the research and observations of faculty members across the country, it has been found that the immediacy of stock and global news information adds realism to the classroom.
Through team-based and individual study, students gain a greater understanding of how financial markets respond to new information. As students experience the impact of global currency fluctuations, variances in govern-mental policy, and corporate and individual decision-making, the sense of a "global economy" expands beyond that of a textbook discussion to one that is more attuned with the way 21st century students learn.
From a research perspective, the Financial Traiding Room offers broad opportunities for faculty and student collaborations. The ability to quickly access and assimilate current and historical financial data significantly supports quantitative faculty research, while also providing learning opportunities for students who assist in extracting the required information. Further, access to commodity and financial data creates opportunities for interdisciplinary collaborations at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
THE TRADING ROOM FACILITY
The Trading Room is located in Room 213 Craig Hall and will accommodate a maximum class-size of 32 students.
The Room is equipped with:
- 32 dual-screen student workstations
- Ticker tape LED display system within the room and in the 2nd floor corridor
- Two large rear-projection screen displays
- An instructor workstation equipped to control the projections screens; includes a document camera, DVD/VHS player, and related auxiliary video/computer inputs
Data resources include:
- FactSet provides information on thousands of public and private companies and private equity firms, including company descriptions, business segments size, market performance, summary financial, events, deal history, ownership,private equity holdings, and key executives
- FactSet Global Historical Information provides 20 years of h historical prices, financial, ratios, filings, consensus and detail estimates
- FactSet Corporate Ownership gives institutions, hedge funds, and insider holdings, historical share movements, peer reports, ownership statistics, contact details, and investor regions analysis
- Financial Trading System (FTS) real-time enabling the study of risk management with customizable analytics. FTS Interactive Markets create a training platform within the classroom. Provides innovative teaching modules for company valuation and price discovery.
- Morningstar is a global database used for investment research. The software includes current and historical data for all investment portfolios. Morningstar offers a certification program.
For more Information, Contact:
Mrs. Sandra Jones-Strayhorn, Financial Trading Room Technical Director
North Carolina A&T state University
1601 East Market St.
Craig Hall, Room 312H
Greensboro, NC 27411
336-285-3311 - Telephone
336-334-7093 - Fax