Farmers Adopting Computer Technology (FACT)
Project Program Description:
The project is designed to train farm families one-on-one or in group settings how to use computers for their farming operations in order to become more competitive in the market place.
Small and limited-resource farm families across the state of North Carolina.
Goals and Objectives:FACT introduces and demonstrates innovative uses of computers and computerized farm management programs to small farmers and rural families. When available, FACT can make computers available for farmers unable to purchase a machine. The following objectives assist in accomplishing the project's goals:
- introduce the computer as a new method of keeping records and managing farms,
- assist farm families through training to develop computer skills that enable them to send correspondences via e-mail and the Internet,
- develop partnerships with local Small Business Centers and Human Resource Departments at Community Colleges to help train limited-resource audiences,.
- encourage small and limited-resource farm families to participate in computer training offered at community colleges and Extension Computer Centers,
- enhance small farm families' decision-making skills through computerized programs, and
- increase small farmers' accessibility and competitiveness in the marketplace through the use of technological innovations.
Courtney T. Owens, Extension Associate
Cooperative Extension Program
North Carolina A&T State University
P.O. Box 21928 Greensboro , NC 27420