This is where learning happens.
Research Apprenticeship Program (RAP) for High School Students
RAP is a four-week residential program for current or rising high school juniors and seniors. Its main objective is to stimulate interest in agriscience professions, including: biological engineering/ biotechnology/ business and economics/ child development/ fashion and apparel/ food product development/ horticulture/ landscape architecture/ nutrition/ teaching/ veterinary science, and many more.
Through the program, students will:
- Gain first-hand experience in research conducted under the direction of the SAES research scientists.
- Conduct research projects ranging from landscape architecture and pesticide studies, biotechnology, horticulture and animal sciences to air quality, food and nutrition and international trade.
- Gain exposure to a number of structured activities including field trips, workshops and laboratory demonstrations, and instruction in computer applications, technical and scientific writing and public speaking.
To qualify for this academically rewarding program, students must:
- Show an interest in the food, agricultural, environmental, family and consumer sciences, and in pursuing a college education in these areas.
- Be a rising high school junior or senior with a cumulative (weighted) GPA of 2.5 or better and rank in the top 25th percentile of his/her class.
- Be a citizen of the United States of America.
- Agree to abide by University and RAP rules and regulations.
In addition to spending four weeks on North Carolina A&T's campus and the opportunity to engage in scholarly activities, students will receive a stipend. The program also pays room, board, health and accident insurance, and activity fees.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE
Interested students can download the electronic application, or contact their high school counselors or agriculture teachers to request assistance in downloading an application.
Questions? contact Dr. Shirley Hymon-Parker, Associate Dean for Research, or Angelia Williamson at (336) 285-4701. Completed application packages should be sent to:
Research Apprenticeship Program
School of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences (SAES)
C. H. Moore Agricultural Research Station
North Carolina A&T State University
1601 E. Market Street
Greensboro , NC 27411