The Graduate School
Graduate education at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University was authorized by the North Carolina State Legislature in 1939. The authorization provided for training in agriculture, technology, applied sciences, and other approved areas of study. An extension of the graduate program approved by the General Assembly of North Carolina in 1957 provided for enlargement of the curriculum to include teacher education, as well as such other programs of a professional or occupational nature as might be approved by the North Carolina Board of Higher Education.
On July 1, 1967, the Legislature of North Carolina approved regional university status for the institution and renamed it North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. The University awarded its first master’s degree in 1941 to Woodland Ellroy Hall.
The Graduate School has an integrated and intercultural faculty and student body and beckons students from all over the world. It coordinates and administers advanced course offerings in departments within the School of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, the College of Arts and Sciences, The School of Business and Economics, the School of Education, the College of Engineering, the Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering, and the School of Technology. Curricula leading to the Master of Science, the Master of Arts, the Master of Education, Master of School Administration, Master of Social Work, and the Doctor of Philosophy degree are offered in a variety of dicsiplines.
The Graduate School provides a foundation of knowledge and techniques for those who wish to continue their education in doctoral programs at other institutions or within this institution as it expands into the doctoral arena. While studying at this university, it is expected that graduate students (1) will acquire special competence in one or multiple fields of knowledge; (2) will further develop their ability to think independently and constructively; (3) will develop and demonstrate the ability to collect, organize, evaluate, create, and report facts that will enable them to make a scholarly contribution to knowledge about their discipline; and (4) will make new application and adaptation of existing knowledge so as to contribute to their professions and to humankind.
Fourteen persons have served as dean of the Graduate School since its beginning in 1939. They are Dr. Wadaran L. Kennedy (1939-1951), Dr. Frederick A. Williams (1951-1961), Dr. George C. Royal (1961-1965), Mr. J. Niel Armstrong (1965-1966), Dr. Darwin Turner (1966-1969), Dr. Albert W. Spruill, (1970-1993), Dr. Meada Gibbs (1993-1996), Dr. Charles Williams (1996-1997), Dr. Melvin N. Johnson (1997), Dr. Thoyd Melton (1998-2000), Dr. Kenneth H. Murray (2000-2006), Dr. Thomas Hassell (2006-2006), Dr. William J. Craft (2007 -2009), Dr. Kenneth Murray (2009-2009), Dr. Alan Letton (2010 - 2011), Dr. Sanjiv Sarin (2011-present).
Graduate CouncilThe Graduate School Council is responsible for formulating all academic policies and regulations affecting graduate students, graduate courses, and graduate curricula. The council consists of faculty, students and administrative representatives from graduate programs. The Dean of the Graduate School serves as chairperson of the Council.