Results from the Social Media Survey of Enrolled Graduate Students (Fall 2012)
The Graduate School surveyed over 1600 enrolled NC A&T graduate students in December 2012 about their use of social media. Of the 109 respondents the age ranges are18-24 years of age (18%), 25-34 (28%), 35-44 (30%) and 45 and over (22%).
The following reports on the 7 questions asked and popular responses:
With which of these social media tools do you engage?
- Social networking (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) - 92%
- Message boards - 24%
- Blogging - 18%
- Podcasting - 6.7%
How do you use Facebook?
- To communicate with friends - 91%
- Looking at or posting photos or links - 75%
- Sending or receiving messages - 70%
- Wall posts (Writing or reading others’) - 57%
How do you use Twitter?
- To find out about current events and breaking news - 52%
- Networking - 50%
- To communicate with friends - 48%
- Entertainment - 48%
How often do you use Facebook?
- 3+ times/day - 37%
- Once per day - 31%
- Other - 13%
- Once per week - 10%
How often do you use Twitter?
- Other - 43%
- Monthly - 13%
- 3+ times/day - 8%
- Once per week - 7%
What type of information is valuable to you as a graduate student?
- Important graduate deadlines - 91%
- Research opportunities in your field - 67%
- Access to the Graduate School staff - 61%
- Tips for navigating graduate school - 58%
If the Graduate School engaged with the following tools what would be the most beneficial?
Communication with Current Students
- Message boards - 50%
- Social networking (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) - 46%
- Blogging - 45%
- Podcasting - 37%
Recruitment of Potential Students
- Podcasting - 44%
- Videoblogging - 38%
- Social networking - 29%
- Blogging - 21%
Dissemination of Pertinent Information
- Message boards - 32%
- Blogging - 32%
- Videoblogging - 28%
- Social networking (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) - 23%
The Graduate School will use these survey responses to inform its social media strategy and communications efforts.
All required University IRB approvals were sought and obtained (Study# 12-0036)