Lijun Wang, Ph.D., P.E., C.E. M.Associate Professor
Chemical, Biological and Bioengineeringlijun
121 Sockwell Hall
1601 E. Market Street
Greensboro, NC 27411
Ph: (336) 334-7787
Fax: (336) 334-7270
Education & TrainingGraduate Studies (20 credits in biochemistry and leadership education), University of Nebraska-Lincoln, August 2004-May 2006
Postdoc University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2004
Postdoc University of California, Davis, 2002
Ph.D. National University of Ireland, Dublin 2002
M.Sc. South China University of Technology, China 1997
B.Eng. Zhengzhou University, China 1994
- BIOE 440 Engineering Properties of Biological Materials
- BIOE 422 Introduction to Bioprocess Engineering
- BIOE 330 Engineering Systems Analysis and Design
- BIOE 522 Food Engineering
- GEEN 100 Engineering Design and Ethics
- Engineering design, analysis and synthesis of food and biological processes
- Bioenergy processing technologies
- Energy efficiency and management in processing facilities
- Computational process engineering and process control
- A reactive distillation process for upgrading bio-oil to transportation fuels and bioplastics, USDA, 2010-2013.
- An Integrated Process for Production of Ethanol and Bio-based Products from Lignocellulosic Biomass, USDA, 2008-2011.
- Production of biodiesel and biopower from waste materials to improve energy security and mitigate greenhouse gas emissions, DOD, 2008-2011.
Ten Selected Publications
- Wang, L. J. (single author). 2008. Energy Efficiency and Management in Food Processing Facilities. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, LLC, Boca Raton, FL, USA. ISBN: 1420063383, 452 pages.
- Wang, L.J. 2010. Chapter 2 Advances in extraction of plant products in nutraceutical processing, In: Pathak, Y. (editor), Handbook of Nutraceuticals: Volume II: Scale up, Processing and Automation. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis, pp. 15-52.
- Wang, L J., Luo, ZL, Xiu, SN and Shahbazi, A. 2011. Pretreatment and fractionation of wheat straw with acetic acid to enhance enzymatic hydrolysis and ethanol fermentation. Energ Source, in press.
- Wang, LJ, Shahbazi, A and Hanna, MA. 2011. Characterization of corn stover, distiller grains and cattle manure for thermochemical conversion. Biomass Bioenerg, 35: 171-178.
- Wang, L. J., Kumar, A., Weller, C. L., Hanna, M.A. and Jones, D.D. 2009. Thermal degradation kinetics of distillers grains in nitrogen and air. Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, 31, 797-806.
- Wang, L. J., Hanna, M.A., Weller, C. L., and Jones, D.D. 2009. Technical and Economical Analyses of Combined Heat and Power Generation from Distillers Grains and Corn Stover in Ethanol Plants. Energy Conversion and Management, 50, 1704-1713.
- Wang, L. J., Weller, C. L., Schlegel, V.L., Carr, T.P. and Cuppett, S.L. 2008. Supercritical carbon dioxide extraction of grain sorghum DDGS lipids. Bioresource Technology. 99, 1373-1382.
- Wang, L. J., Jones, D. D., Weller, C. L. and Hanna, M. A. 2006. Modeling of transport phenomena and melting kinetics of biomaterials in a twin-screw extruder. Advances in Polymer Technology. 25(1), 22- 40.
- Wang, L. J., Amezquita, A., Weller, C. L. 2006. An integrated model of heat transfer and temperature-dependent bacterial growth in cooked hams during air blast chilling. Trans. ASABE. 49(5): 1437-1446.
- Wang, L. J., Ganjyal, G. M., Jones, D. D., Weller, C. L. and Hanna, M. A. 2005. Modeling of bubble growth dynamics and non-isothermal expansion in starch-based foam during extrusion. Advances in Polymer Technology. 24(1), 29-45.