Undergraduate earth systems science research: atmospheric modeling, sensing, and the societal impact of environmental protection.
Department of Physics
The Department of Physics will provide highly competitive graduate and undergraduate education in physics, in order to produce able and capable physicists who are trained in the art of critical thinking, problem solving, independent learning and practical skills to meet the technical and scientific challenges in state and federal government, industry and academia and the growing demands of interdisciplinary research.
The Department of Physics is committed to be a place of excellence in education, research and community service, and to achieve national recognition, distinction and preeminence. It aims at positioning itself to play a critical and leading role in building a research-intensive Interdisciplinary University. The Department is committed to be an essential unit of the College of Arts and Sciences, central to the focus of the University in the discovery of new basic science, the development and exploitation of that science across traditional boundaries and disciplines, and the integration of the new knowledge and techniques of discovery into the educational process. Mission The Department of Physics mission is to serve the citizens of North Carolina, the United States, and the world through education and discovery. The Department of Physics is dedicated to providing high quality comprehensive undergraduate and graduate education in Physics to a wide range of students. The Department aims at expanding knowledge in the field of physics and related sciences through research, and at combining teaching and research in order to give students, majors and non-majors alike, a solid core of knowledge in fundamental physics and impel them to develop the skills of critical thinking, problem solving, and independent learning.
- Increase student enrollment and improve retention and graduation rates at all levels
- Provide high quality courses, innovative curricula, and contribute to the production of the skilled workforce of the 21st century.
- Invest and excel in both basic and applied research and interdisciplinary activities. Continue to develop and promote collaborations and partnerships with other departments, universities, corporations and national labs. Involve students in all aspects of the Department research activities.
- Share the Physics knowledge and expertise of our faculty, students and staff with the large community
- ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES AND METEOROLOGY - BACHELOR OF SCIENCE
- PHYSICS - BACHELOR OF SCIENCE
- PHYSICS (ENGINEERING PHYSICS) - BACHELOR OF SCIENCE
- PHYSICS (INTERDISCIPLINARY PHYSICS) - BACHELOR OF SCIENCE
- SECONDARY EDUCATION (PHYSICS EDUCATION) - BACHELOR OF SCIENCE
- PHYSICS - MASTER OF SCIENCE