This is where learning happens.
News and Information
Links of interest
Follow us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/#!/NorthCarolinaAtStateUniversityDepartmentOfPhysics?fref=ts
Follow us on Twitter! https://twitter.com/NCATPhysics
American Physical Society: http://www.aps.org/
Institute of Physics: http://www.iop.org/
- Alex O.E. Animalu, FAS, NNOM, IOM; Emeritus Professor of Physics; Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria will be presenting a colloquium on March 17, 2014 in Marteena 310 at 4:00 pm. He will be presenting Principle of E-Magnetodynamics for Composite Magnetic Pole.
- Dr. Solomon Bililgn, professor of physics, attended the March meeting of the American Physical Society (APS) in Denver, Colo. Bililign made an oral presentation, “Calibration of cavity ring-down spectrometry, integrating nephelometery, and condensation particle counting for distinguishing aerosol scattering/absorption properties,” in the Physics of Climate session. He also participated on the NSF-GEO-Idea Lab team via Skype (due to a conflict with the APS meeting). In addition, Bililign organized an international satellite meeting of the Ethiopian Physics Society in North America, of which he is the current president.
- Congratulations to Ronald Gamble and his academic advisor, Dr. Abebe Kebede, for receiving the 2013 - 2014 Outstanding Graduate Student of the Year Award. Congratulations to Benjamin Griego and his academic advisor, Dr. Abdellah Ahmidouch, for receiving the 2013-2014 Graduate Student Merrit Award. Congratulations also to Ms. Ursula Salamonowicz and her advisor, Dr. Ashot Gasparian, for receiving the 2013-2014 Undergraduate Academic Citation Award.
- Dr. Lin and the Atmospheric Science and Meteorolgy students were recently interviewed by WXII News 12 about the recent tornado activity in Oklahoma. Here is the link: http://www.wxii12.com/news/local-news/piedmont/Future-of-Predicting-Tornados-is-Getting-Better/-/10703612/20244544/-/oynxka/-/index.html
- 4/26/2013: Physics - EES Joint Colloquium: 1-2 PM; Gibbs 307. Dr. Matthew Eastin, Associate Professor from UNC-Charlotte, will present "Development of the Tropical Cyclone Tornado Parameter (TCTP) for Use in Situational Awareness Forcasting."
- Dr. James Gates will be visiting A&T for one day speaking to our department and university and College on Thursday February 28. Dr. Gates is a Physics Professor at the university Maryland, a member of President Obama’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST), and a recipient of the Medal of Science, the highest recognition given by the U.S. to scientists. Dr. Gates will give a public lecture at 11:00 AM in the GCB auditorium, title: “The PCAST reports and the Re-ignition of the American Dream”. A flyer for the event is attached. Dr. Gates will also be giving a physics seminar at 4:00 PM in Marteena 312, title “Symmetry and the Quincunx Nexus”. Everyone is welcome to attend.
- Physics Department awarded $15,000 innovation proposal by PiCam
- Dr. Jing Zhang co-authored a paper that was published in January in Nature Climate Change: http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v3/n1/full/nclimate1631.html
- 08/2012 New NSF MRI award in August: NSF Major Research Instrumentation (MRI) research award: “Development of a Windowless Hydrogen Gas Flow Target for a High Precision Measurement of the Proton Charge Radius”, funded by NSF (award #PHY-1229153, for the period 2012-2013) with M. Khandaker (PI, NSU), A. Gasparian (co-PI, NC A&T SU), H. Gao (co-PI, Duke U.), D. Dutta (co-PI, MSU).
- 07/2012 A new research project has been recently approved at Jefferson Laboratory with the highest scientific rating: “High Precision Measurement of the Proton Charge Radius”. Presented at JLab Program Advisory Committee PAC39 in July, 2012. The proposal (E12-11-106) approved with high scientific rating (A). with Dr. A. Gasparian PI, M. Khandaker (co-PI, NSU), H. Gao (co-PI, Duke U.), D. Dutta (co-PI, MSU).
- 05/11/2012 Dr. Schmidt was invited to give a talk at the 9th Confocal Raman Symposium at WITec, GmbH in Ulm, Germany, from Sept. 26-27, 2012. His talk will be on “Confoca Raman Microspectroscopy: Applications in Life Sciences”
- 03/13/2012 Dr. Schmidt and collaborators received the 2010 WITec Paper Award for their paper: “Strain and charge carrier coupling in epitaxial graphene”. D. A. Schmidt, T. Ohta, and T. E. Beechem, PRB 84, 235422 (2011).