Faculty Research areas
1) Atmospheric Science
- Tropical waves and convection, Climate variability and climate change (Mekonnen)
- Atmospheric Dynamics and Modeling, tropical cyclone genesis and movement, mesoscale cyclogenesis, storm dynamics, forest fire dynamics, wake vortex dynamics, dynamics of Martian atmosphere (Lin)
- Arctic MM5 model coupling of ice-ocean model for Alaska weather forecast, Climate-Glacier, Climate-Coastal Erosion (Zhang)
- Computational and Theoretical Fluid Mechanics, Global Atmospheric Chemical Transport, Numerical Simulation of Reactive Flows, Combustion Theory, Advanced Computational Methods (Rastigeyev)
- Characterizing organic and inorganic acids and aerosol in the atmosphere emitted by Biomass burning and their impact on climate; Spectroscopy of Transition State Dynamics; Laser Spectroscopy and Photodynamics; Electronic Structure Calculations; Metal-ion chemistry within clusters; formation and chemistry of nanoparticles (Bililign)
- Synthesis and X-ray crystallography of Inorganic complexes with particular emphasis on gold and group 11 metals and lanthanide systems; Coordination polymeric materials and solid state materials for luminescent sensor application of volatile organic compounds in the atmosphere as well as synthesis and characteriztion of white light emitting materials, and excited state energy transfer studies for emission enhancement in lanthanide systems (Assefa)
- Nonlinear Control Systems, Optimal Control (Tang)
- Dynamical Systems (Liu)
2) Sustainable Bioproducts
- Gasification of biomass (lignocelluloses). The research team will investigate improved production of quality syngas through achieving a more thorough understanding of the gasification chemistry of various biomass feedstocks (Wang)
- Catalytic materials and processes for clean biofuels (alkanes and alcohols) and for hydrogen production with industrial applications (Kuila).
- High-purity hydrogen: This is geared toward fuel processing and reforming technologies for hydrogen production and separation as H2-fuel with applications in proton exchange membrane fuel cell (PEMFC) technology. High-purity H2 is the fuel of choice in PEMFCs (Ilias).
3) Energy & Environmental systems and EconomicsEconomic models of decision-making under uncertainty, greenhouse gas mitigation polices in agriculture; cropland use changes due to the changing economic conditions such as the expansion of ethanol production and the ensuing changes in agricultural non-point source pollution; identifying the optimal placement of soil and water conservation practices on agricultural landscapes and the economic means of achieving the optimal placement (Kurkalova)