Dr. Zerihun Assefa
Professor of Chemistry, Office: 341 New Science Building; Email- firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel (336)285-2255
1992 Ph.D. Physical Inorganic Chemistry, University of Maine, Orono, ME, 04469; B.Sc. Chemistry, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
2013- Professor of Chemistry
2008 - Associate Professor (tenured)
2005 - 2008 Associate Professor, Chemistry Dept, NCAT
1995 - 2005 Staff Scientist, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
1994 - 1995 Research Associate, Auburn University, Auburn, AL
1992 - 1994 Post-doctoral Researcher, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Synthesis and X-ray crystallography of Inorganic complexes with particular emphasis on gold and group 11 metals and lanthanide systems. Research interest include Coordination polymeric materials and solid state materials for luminescent sensor application of volatile organic compounds in the atmosphere as well as synthesis and characteriztion of white light emitting materials, and excited state energy transfer studies for emission enhancement in lanthanide systems.
Honors and Awards:
* National Role Model Faculty Mentor Award-- For Exemplary Achievement in Motivating, Counseling, and Guiding Others (2013). Assefa provided a Radio-Interview to WNAA 90.1 FM Station regarding the award and his research activities.
* Merit Teaching Award -College of Arts and Science (2013)
* Merit Teaching Award- Chemistry Department (2013)
* Interdisciplinary Research Award (2012)
* Profiled by the American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund under Innovate & Inspire.
* Outstanding Senior Researcher of the year award for the College of Arts and Science (2009)
* Junior Merit Teaching Award- College of Arts and Science (2008).
* Associate Editor, Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Ethiopia (2010-)
* Editorial Board Member, Open Crystallography Journal
* Invited by RESEARCH SIGNPOST to Edit A review book in Solid State Chemistry.
* Publications garnered over >1000 citations, 480 downloads, ~2000 views
* Two publications garnered 180 citations each
* Cited in Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, 9th edition (2007-2008); 8th edition (2005-2006);
* Cited in “Who’s Who in the 21st Century” (2001 and subsequent publications).
* Cited in Science Watch, November/December, 1997 issue on “Chemists Aglow Over Luminescence in Gold Compounds”
* Who's Who Among American Teachers & Educators 11th Edition (2007); 12th Edition, ’08
* Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, 9th edition (2007-2008).
* Cited in “2000 Scientists of the Twenty First Century” publication of IBC (1st Edition).
* Organized and chaired the symposium on “Thin Films and Film Precursors” at the ACS National Meeting, March 29-April 3, (1998).
* Successfully invited a Nobel Laureate (Dr. Kroto) to the 2nd Annual Science Symposium held at NCAT on February 27, 2008, and participated in the organization and invitation of a 2nd Nobel Laureate, Dr. Roald Hoffman to the 2011, 4th Biannual Science symposium.