Pre-medical Scholars Program
The Department of Biology's Pre-medical Scholars Program is designed to successfully prepare students to be competent, confident, and competitive leaders in health care. Biology majors may apply for the pre-medical track upon completion of the first semester of the freshman year.
Students must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Students must have at least an overall 3.0 GPA upon completion of the first semester.
- Students must have earned at least a B in BIOL 101, Math course, Chemistry 106 and 116. (This may be flexible based on the student's cumulative GPA and overall performance.)
- All students must compose a Personal Statement (essay) consisting of 100-150 words discussing future career goals and why they wish to pursue a career in their chosen health career. Additionally, students may also explain any blemishes on their academic record.
- Each student must meet with her academic advisor to review the academic transcript, the pre-medical track curriculum, requirements, and expectations.
- Due to the rigorous nature of the Pre-medical Track, students must obtain their academic advisor's signature stating that she is in support of the student's application.
Students accepted into the Pre-medical Scholars Program much adhere to the following expectations:
- Scholars will meet regularly with their academic advisor and follow the Pre-medical Track.
- Scholars must maintain a minimum overall 3.0 GPA.
- All students are expected to attend supplemental instruction for chemistry and mathematics and/or tutoring at least once per week.
- Scholars must maintain active membership in the NC A&T State University Minority Association of Pre-medical Students (MAPS) or the Undergraduate Student National Dental Association (USNDA).
- Scholars will serve as peer mentors in the department for Early Assurance Scholars and entering freshman.
- Scholars are expected to participate in job shadowing, attend the Pre-Professional Scholars Program Professional Development Conference hosted in the Spring on the NC A&T campus, and actively seek summer enrichment program opportunities.
- Scholars should follow the Pre-Health Advising Guide located on the Biology Department Organization Site on BlackBoard.
- Scholars are required to attend meetings of the Pre-medical Scholars Program.