History & Mission
North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University is a public, doctoral/research, 1890 land-grant university committed to exemplary teaching and learning, scholarly and creative research, and effective engagement and public service. The university offers degrees at the baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral levels and has a commitment to excellence in a comprehensive range of academic disciplines. Our unique legacy and educational philosophy provide students with a broad range of experiences that foster transformation and leadership for a dynamic and global society.
In 1890, Congress enacted the Second Morrill Act that mandated “a separate college for the colored race.” The Agricultural and Mechanical College for the Colored Race (now N.C. A&T) was established as that school in the state of North Carolina by an act of the General Assembly ratified on March 9, 1891. Originally operating in Raleigh as an annex to Shaw University, the college made a permanent home in Greensboro with the help of citizens such as Dr. DeWitt (a black dentist), C. Benbow, and Charles H. Moore.
In 1915, state legislators changed the college’s name to the Agricultural and Technical College of North Carolina; and in 1967, they elevated it to university status. N.C. A&T became a constituent university of the University of North Carolina in 1972.
For the fiscal year 2010–11, A&T generated more than $60 million in sponsored programs and more than $6 million in appropriations for agricultural research and cooperative extension.
It also generates contracts with major international companies, foundations and federal agencies to secure funding to enhance academic programs and to provide student scholarships.
Twelve presidents/chancellors have served the university since its founding:
- Dr. John O. Crosby (1892–1896)
- Dr. James B. Dudley (1896–1925)
- Dr. Ferdinand D. Bluford (1925–1955)
- Dr. Warmoth T. Gibbs (1956–1960)
- Dr. Samuel DeWitt Proctor (1960–1964)
- Dr. Lewis C. Dowdy (1964–1980)
- Dr. Cleon Thompson Jr. (1980–1981, interim)
- Dr. Edward B. Fort (1981–1999)
- Dr. James C. Renick (1999–2006)
- Dr. Lloyd V. Hackley (2006–2007, interim)
- Dr. Stanley F. Battle (2007–2009)
- Dr. Harold L. Martin Sr. (2009–present)